Help!! controlling dc motors with bs2

Post by Dean Durbi » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Anyone knows a good way of controlling two dc motors (bi-directional)
with BS2. I took a glance at UDN2916 and it seemed like right chip for
the job Anyone?
Thanks a bunch.

Help!! controlling dc motors with bs2

Post by Gordon McCom » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Are you looking for the software or the hardware?  The latter will
dictate the software, actually....

-- Gordon

> Anyone knows a good way of controlling two dc motors (bi-directional)
> with BS2. I took a glance at UDN2916 and it seemed like right chip for
> the job Anyone?
> Thanks a bunch.

Help!! controlling dc motors with bs2

Post by Richard Web » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Also what specs are the motors? I.e. what current will they draw?

Personally I like to use the L298 H-Bridge for the type of apps I need.

>Are you looking for the software or the hardware?  The latter will
>dictate the software, actually....

>-- Gordon

>> Anyone knows a good way of controlling two dc motors (bi-directional)
>> with BS2. I took a glance at UDN2916 and it seemed like right chip for
>> the job Anyone?
>> Thanks a bunch.

Help!! controlling dc motors with bs2

Post by Dean Durbi » Fri, 11 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Sorry I wasn't clear on that point... I'm looking for a hardware solution
(schematics)... The motors are 6V 300mA (running) each.

Post by Dennis Clar » Fri, 11 Feb 2000 04:00:00

: Sorry I wasn't clear on that point... I'm looking for a hardware solution
: (schematics)... The motors are 6V 300mA (running) each.

  300ma unloaded?  If this is so, you'll need a couple of Amps running
current, if this is the loaded current then some pretty small controllers
will work fine - what motor is it?  If its a Mabuchi 540 style, then 3Amp
controllers won't work either, unless you have at least a 50:1 gear down,
perhaps even more.

DLC

* Be well, do good work, and stay in touch -- Garrison Keillor             *

1. BS2 and 3V DC motors

Hi there,

Does anyone out there know how I can get two 3V DC motors working with
a Basic Stamp 2? I'd like to be able to control speed and direction of
the motors, preferably using a logical high/low signal for direction
and a PWM for speed (i.e. four control pins).

Right now I'm using a set-up with a 7404 to provide bi-directional
control. I send one of the direction signals to a pin, which is then
inverted twice so I get +5v out in either polarity depending on if I
supply a high or low input. This all works fine, and I've measured a
nice bi-directional 5v coming from this, which I can switch to the
other polarity easily (by setting an I/O pin low or high).

For the speed control I'm using a PWM signal to provide a variable (0
thru +5v) voltage. This is smoothed out with a capacitor and also
works fine.

The problem is with the L293 H-brigde I'm using. This handles a
separate power supply for the motors. According to the schematic I've
been following, I can control how much of this separate power supply
comes out of the chip (and then goes to the motors) by supplying a
varying voltage to the chip's enable pins (this comes from the PWM
signals above). This works (to an extent) if I use a 9v battery for
the second power source - if I use my regulated 3v power I get
something like +/-0.01v accross the outputs.

Am I getting completely the wrong idea here? Does the H-bridge work at
such a low voltage? Is there a way to make this set-up work, or should
I just go for something completely different? I realise there are a
few commerically available motor control boards out there but I'm
hoping to build something myself. Any suggestions would be most
appreciated as I've scoured the web for something about this and found
absolutely nothing!

Thanks in advance,

 Steve

PS. If you're feeling generous, I'd appreciate if you could mail any

____________________________________

WWW: http://home.wanadoo.nl/~stevem/

2. Auto Arrange and other folder options don't stick

3. DC motor control 7A motor

4. MRTG to Monitor MS Exchange Server

5. Help me Find a cheap DC motor control solution

6. Prompt.com By: Sneeley

7. * Tutorial * PWM DC motor control with PC ISA card

8. Halo 2 theory

9. need source of PC hardware to control DC motor

10. DC motor control for cheap toys

11. H Bridge directional control for DC motor PROBLEM!

12. DC motor control AN8250P?

13. DC MOTOR POSITION CONTROL