what is embedded 386 or PC/104

Post by Randy Gardne » Fri, 16 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Hi There,
> I am not aware of what these things are; embedded 386 or PC/104.  I
> know here computers or something along those lines but I was
> wondering if someone can enlighten me a little on the purpose,
> advantages and so on.

Embedded 386:  A 386 computer designed in be implemented inside
another device.  See any basic robotics FAQs for more info.  Also

PC/104:  A board size/shape/bus design/etc for designing minature
computer systems.  Examples are wearables and palmtops.  The boards
are designed to fit like `legos', as they can be pluged together
in many ways.

--

--http://www.slip.net/~randyg/index.htm  - *New*  Download a maze
  program that lets you actually walk *inside* the maze!!

what is embedded 386 or PC/104

Post by Todd Schifferdecke » Sun, 18 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Don't forget, PC104 uses the same signals as an ISA (PC XT or PC AT) bus,
just with different connectors(.025 inch pins on 0.1 inch centers).  The
ready made boards still seem to be a bit pricey IMHO.
--
Todd Schifferdecker
Send direct replies to:

#include <disclaimer.std>

1. what is embedded 386 or PC/104

Hi!

        An embedded microchip is just a chip with all funcionallity, i.e. a 386
with all the peripherals in it, so if you want to make a control board
using a 386, you can design your own motherboard very easy because in
just one chip you have almost all chips you need.

        An embedded microprcessor can include timers, PIC, bus controllers, IO
lines, ADC or DAC, serial or parallel ports...

        Yours sincerelly,

--
                Sebastian Fernandez A.

I simply try to aid in letting the light of historical truth into that
decaying mass of outworn thought which attaches the modern world to
medieval conceptions of Christianity, and which still lingers among us
--
a most serious barrier to religion and morals, and a menace to the whole
normal evolution of society.

2. New Amstrad PcW16 - Z80 16Mhz due end Nov

3. FS: 386 based PC/104 single board computer

4. HOWTO: Selecting the database to connect to

5. PC/104 en PC/104-Plus support in QNXRTP

6. CD-R changes after burning?

7. Good PC/104 and embedded PC products for QNX

8. Keyboard Reading

9. PC/104 embedded-PC standard status

10. FS: PC 104 Complete Embedded Computer System

11. PC 104 embedded DOS for a robot?

12. Embedded toolkit for RTD PC-104 cpuModule?

13. Embedding QNX on a RTP PC-104 system