Isolating Electronic circuits

Post by Christopher Fairbai » Sun, 14 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I am 15 years old and building a robot. I would like to isolate each
circuit in my robot from the others so that if something goes wrong I'm
only going to lose one board not the lot.

For example if my motor controller goes haywire I don't won't to have
the possibility of losing my microcontroller board if a hi voltage
signal goes to one of its inputs etc etc.

Does anyone know of a chip I could put between digital signals going
from A to B and vise versa which would stop hivoltage signals etc going
through?

I guess what I am saying is I want to blow up a cheap chip instead of
the more expensive chips.

Any hints, help would be great,

Christopher Fairbairn,

or if that fails try

Post by John Nag » Mon, 15 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>I am 15 years old and building a robot. I would like to isolate each
>circuit in my robot from the others so that if something goes wrong I'm
>only going to lose one board not the lot.
>For example if my motor controller goes haywire I don't won't to have
>the possibility of losing my microcontroller board if a hi voltage
>signal goes to one of its inputs etc etc.
>Does anyone know of a chip I could put between digital signals going
>from A to B and vise versa which would stop hivoltage signals etc going
>through?
>I guess what I am saying is I want to blow up a cheap chip instead of
>the more expensive chips.

     Sure.  What you want is called an "opto-isolator".  These are
basically a light-emitting-diode and a phototransistor in one package.
The only connection between the input and output is light.  They cost
about US$1, and come in various ratings, depending on what kind of
input and output signals you have.

                                        John Nagle

Isolating Electronic circuits

Post by Bill Wainwrigh » Mon, 15 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Does anyone know of a chip I could put between digital signals going
> from A to B and vise versa which would stop hivoltage signals etc going
> through?

> I guess what I am saying is I want to blow up a cheap chip instead of
> the more expensive chips.

> Any hints, help would be great,

You could try a optocoupler between them but you will need two power
supplies one for both sides of the circiut. I like the 6N137 as it is
cheap and fast.

1. Isolate individual circuits from X10

I am currently using X10 in a work environment and I would like
to isolate each circuit using X10 from all other circuits.  I
believe that we have a standard 3 phase environment.  Is there some
filter that can filter a 120volt circuit such that a CP-290 on one
side of the filter can control 30 devices on the same side of the
filter and the filter can prevent other X10 transceivers from
interfering with the CP-290

2. New AS/400 IT MGR needs advice

3. I look for the electronic circuit of a hard drive WD

4. a1000 serial pinouts, hel

5. need an electronic circuit please...

6. Parallel object moving

7. Which "Encyclopedia of Electronic Circuits" is best first purchase?

8. Computer Errors In Tax Forms Declare Thousands Dead

9. Robotic Electronic Circuit

10. Stencils for electronic circuits

11. servo driver circuit and microcontroller circuit

12. SPST ("Sho&w Open Circuit","Sho&w Closed Circuit")

13. Isolating PC from receiver to prevent ground loop