Low cost relay control with computer???

Post by Mr. Gam » Fri, 16 Nov 2001 08:54:43

Recently I've come across a couple of projects that could be
simplified with a low cost automation system. I've got a few old
computers to use and would like a way to control 2 or 3 relays using
the printer or serial port. (any web sites on hacking an old printer
or modem for this sort of thing?)
Failing that, who sells low cost output boards?

Also, I plan on using an optical mouse for position measurement.
(cheap, non contact) For measuring small distances I can write a
visual basic program to reset the cursor position and track mouse
motion as screen coordinates. This gives me about 1000 steps to work
with on a crappy old monitor.
A better solution would be to plug the mouse into a serial port and
read the raw movement data from it. Any suggestions on where to get
info on how to do this?
Any info would be helpfull.

G..............

Low cost relay control with computer???

Post by michael golgosk » Fri, 16 Nov 2001 09:13:38

I am using an I/O Interface kit which plugs into the parallel port, its very
easy to write software for.  It has 8 relay outputs, and 8 opto-isolated
inputs (it came with all the relays etc.).  It cost around $55 Australian
dollars from Jaycar Electronics (www.jaycar.com.au).  The part number is
KC5230, u can order it from the above website.

Hope it helps,
Michael

Quote:

> Recently I've come across a couple of projects that could be
> simplified with a low cost automation system. I've got a few old
> computers to use and would like a way to control 2 or 3 relays using
> the printer or serial port. (any web sites on hacking an old printer
> or modem for this sort of thing?)
> Failing that, who sells low cost output boards?

> Also, I plan on using an optical mouse for position measurement.
> (cheap, non contact) For measuring small distances I can write a
> visual basic program to reset the cursor position and track mouse
> motion as screen coordinates. This gives me about 1000 steps to work
> with on a crappy old monitor.
> A better solution would be to plug the mouse into a serial port and
> read the raw movement data from it. Any suggestions on where to get
> info on how to do this?
> Any info would be helpfull.

> G..............

Low cost relay control with computer???

Post by Arjan Ammerlaa » Sun, 18 Nov 2001 00:47:34

Mr. Gamer,

I recently updated my webdomain: wacko.0catch.com witch contains a lot of
info for hooking up step motors to a serial (or parallel) port. Just click
this link and copy the codeparts you need.

Unfortunately, this server sometimes has some acces problems. If you're not
succesfull in accessing, please let me know and I'll send you the info my
mail.

MfG,

Arjan Ammerlaan
================

Quote:

> Recently I've come across a couple of projects that could be
> simplified with a low cost automation system. I've got a few old
> computers to use and would like a way to control 2 or 3 relays using
> the printer or serial port. (any web sites on hacking an old printer
> or modem for this sort of thing?)
> Failing that, who sells low cost output boards?

> Also, I plan on using an optical mouse for position measurement.
> (cheap, non contact) For measuring small distances I can write a
> visual basic program to reset the cursor position and track mouse
> motion as screen coordinates. This gives me about 1000 steps to work
> with on a crappy old monitor.
> A better solution would be to plug the mouse into a serial port and
> read the raw movement data from it. Any suggestions on where to get
> info on how to do this?
> Any info would be helpfull.

> G..............

Low cost relay control with computer???

Post by Jason Clar » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 06:21:47

Quote:> > Also, I plan on using an optical mouse for position measurement.
> > (cheap, non contact) For measuring small distances I can write a
> > visual basic program to reset the cursor position and track mouse
> > motion as screen coordinates. This gives me about 1000 steps to work
> > with on a crappy old monitor.
> > A better solution would be to plug the mouse into a serial port and
> > read the raw movement data from it. Any suggestions on where to get
> > info on how to do this?
> > Any info would be helpfull.

Try this;
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/2151/mouse.html

Start reading from 3/4 down the page, it describes how to write your own
handler.  Put VB into binary mode for the serial port, and have a play.
I'd start by displaying the returned bytes on the screen to get a feel for
how it all works.

Jason

Low cost relay control with computer???

Post by Georgia Le » Sun, 18 Nov 2001 11:52:46

I'll try to get some photos up shortly at http://ica-web.ica.com/forsale.nsf

I purchaseed many of these single board computers for mobile robots. They
have onboard vga, ram drive, compact flash support, ide, serial, parallel,
and 10-base-T support. Then, using the PC-104 bus, they support add-on cards
such as the D/A, A/D, I/O and 8 channel relay Cards. The motherboards are
available for less than $100 and the I/O cards, I paid close to $100 ea
(They are still new) I will sell these for $50 ea with purchase of
motherboard.

Eric
emack  at frazmtn dot com

Quote:

> Recently I've come across a couple of projects that could be
> simplified with a low cost automation system. I've got a few old
> computers to use and would like a way to control 2 or 3 relays using
> the printer or serial port. (any web sites on hacking an old printer
> or modem for this sort of thing?)
> Failing that, who sells low cost output boards?

> Also, I plan on using an optical mouse for position measurement.
> (cheap, non contact) For measuring small distances I can write a
> visual basic program to reset the cursor position and track mouse
> motion as screen coordinates. This gives me about 1000 steps to work
> with on a crappy old monitor.
> A better solution would be to plug the mouse into a serial port and
> read the raw movement data from it. Any suggestions on where to get
> info on how to do this?
> Any info would be helpfull.

> G..............

Low cost relay control with computer???

Post by Georgia Le » Sun, 18 Nov 2001 11:58:41

Axiom 8-Channel Relay Actuator PC/104 Module

These Axiom AX10455 8-Channel Relay Actuator PC/104 Modules are in
excellent, new and unused condition. They are designed for control
applications. Each contains 8 channels electrtomechanical single-pole,
double-throw relays which can be set or reset directly by I/O write
instructions. Each relay features a 125VAC/1.5A maximum contact rating. The
normal open, normal close, and common contacts of each relay are brought out
through a 50-pin mating connector. User's Manual included.

Eric

(Email at address below)

emack at frazmtn dott comm

Low cost relay control with computer???

Post by Gene » Sun, 09 Dec 2001 05:12:57

You went to quite a bit of trouble scanning all that in.
Nice work.

> Mr. Gamer,

> I recently updated my webdomain: wacko.0catch.com witch contains a lot of
> info for hooking up step motors to a serial (or parallel) port. Just click
> this link and copy the codeparts you need.

> Unfortunately, this server sometimes has some acces problems. If you're not
> succesfull in accessing, please let me know and I'll send you the info my
> mail.

> MfG,

> Arjan Ammerlaan
> ================

> > Recently I've come across a couple of projects that could be
> > simplified with a low cost automation system. I've got a few old
> > computers to use and would like a way to control 2 or 3 relays using
> > the printer or serial port. (any web sites on hacking an old printer
> > or modem for this sort of thing?)
> > Failing that, who sells low cost output boards?

> > Also, I plan on using an optical mouse for position measurement.
> > (cheap, non contact) For measuring small distances I can write a
> > visual basic program to reset the cursor position and track mouse
> > motion as screen coordinates. This gives me about 1000 steps to work
> > with on a crappy old monitor.
> > A better solution would be to plug the mouse into a serial port and
> > read the raw movement data from it. Any suggestions on where to get
> > info on how to do this?
> > Any info would be helpfull.

> > G..............

1. Low cost relay control

Although I think the recent thread on this topic was in regards to parallel
interfaces, I thought this might be of interest to those looking for a
simple, off-the-shelf, inexpensive way to control a couple of relays from a
serial port.

     http://www.eeci.com/eeci2.htm#ar-2.htm

It shouldn't require a lot of modification to use with a parallel port. I
suspect it could be done with software.

     http://Commander-X.com
     http://216.92.13.48

2. Help on EMM386

3. Acer announces the development of several low cost computers, the X-Computer (XC)

4. client/server training/consulting

5. Momentary Relays for Low voltage control

6. hc11 and fuzzy

7. Low Voltage Relay Control

8. Free: Make 3D scan from real object to virtual object

9. low cost computer books

10. Low-Cost Stepper Control IC and Module

11. Motion and Control: Stepper Motors, Indexer, Translators, Low-Cost Drives

12. Low cost platform and computers.

13. Low-cost (or free) ZIP compression program for a mac computer?