Consolidation in Excel 5.0 (Windows)

Post by Jim Powe » Sat, 24 Dec 1994 21:58:45

I've read the manual and still don't understand this.

Could someone step me through a simple link of two different workbooks
summarized into a third?  Each time I define my source area in one workbook,
and then move to my destination workbook and choose "consolidate" .  I then
select the range name I want to cite from and choose OK.  This results in
the following error:   "Source Reference overlaps destination area."   I would
like to consolidate by "position" (actually a range name in my source files).
Any simple instructions would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Jim Powell
Jefferson Medical College
Phila., PA 19107   (215)955-2132

Consolidation in Excel 5.0 (Windows)

Post by Sandy Bodzi » Sun, 25 Dec 1994 04:50:24

Excerpts from netnews.comp.apps.spreadsheets: 23-Dec-94 Consolidation in

> I've read the manual and still don't understand this.

> Could someone step me through a simple link of two different workbooks
> summarized into a third?  Each time I define my source area in one workbook,
> and then move to my destination workbook and choose "consolidate" .  I then
> select the range name I want to cite from and choose OK.  This results in
> the following error:   "Source Reference overlaps destination area."
I would
> like to consolidate by "position" (actually a range name in my source
files).
> Any simple instructions would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

> Jim Powell
> Jefferson Medical College
> Phila., PA 19107   (215)955-2132

Jim -

What you need to do is first select the area on your destination sheet
where you want the consolidated data to reside in.  Then select, Data
Consolidate (or whatever the relevant command is in 5.0; I use 4.0).  At
that point a dialog box will appear asking what regions you want to
consolidate.  You can type them manually or select Window and then the
relevant spreadsheet and highlight the first area to consolidate.  Then
select Add from the dialog box.  Repeat this process until all areas
have been added.  At that point select OK.  Your consolidated data will
be placed on the destination sheet.

NOTE: in my opinion the nicest thing about the data consolidation
feature is the ability to create links to the source data.  If you check
this box before doing the consolidation, the destination spreadsheet
will be converted to an outlined spreadsheet that references the source
data.  That way, if the source data changes, your consolidated
spreadsheet will update automatically.

If this still doesn't do the trick for you, let me know and we can walk
through this over the phone if you like.

- Sandy

1. Finding Excel 5.0 add-ins

I'm trying to distribute an Excel 5.0 app that uses the XLODBC.XLA add-in.
When I developed it I used the Tools..References menu item to point to the
add-in at c:\...\Excel\Library\MSQuery\XLODBC.XLA. As I try to install on
other users' machines with Excel installed at different c:\...\Excel
directories, opening the workbook causes Excel to search through the VBA
module, realize it can't find the XLODBC add-in, and pop the user into the
middle of the code with an error message "Sub or function not found",
locating the XLODBC function name. Pretty ugly!

Would you know of a way to tell Excel about the add-in location before it
finds this problem? Perhaps there is even another way to deal with this problem
that I'm not aware of.

Thanks for your help.

Jim Williams

2. New Mac Publishing Technologies Seminar

3. Exporting Quattro Pro for Windows ver. 5.0 to Excel 5.0

4. 3550 VoIP Setup Clarification Please

6. WHY ISNT THERE A SPLINTER BOARD?!!!

7. Graphics Add-ins for Excel 5.0

8. Central Vacs - A little off topic

9. MS Excel 5.0 Windows to Mac Excel

10. Excel: can add-ins be saved within an Excel file?

11. Using MS Excel 4 add-ins with Excel 5.0a...

12. Excel pivot table from multiple consolidation ranges -- How?

13. How to dynamically gather all sources for consolidation in Excel