Excel 5--Proper Case Problem

Post by Douglas M. Mun » Fri, 23 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Greetings,

We are having difficulty converting text which has been typed in all CAPS
to Proper Case.  The file consists of a simple mailing list, about 250 lines
long.  We are trying to change the first and last name columns to Proper
case from UPPER case.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

If you have the answer, you can either post here or email me.

Douglas M. Munro

Excel 5--Proper Case Problem

Post by brenda.l.harr » Sat, 24 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Greetings,

>We are having difficulty converting text which has been typed in all CAPS
>to Proper Case.  The file consists of a simple mailing list, about 250 lines
>long.  We are trying to change the first and last name columns to Proper
>case from UPPER case.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Takes two steps (well, actually three)
1. Add a column to the right of the one containing the uppercase names.
  In the new column, create a formula that is =PROPER(a1) (this is assuming
  your data is in cell a1).  Fill that cell down to the y the entire column of
  names, put your cursor in the new column, and do a Paste Special|Values.
3. Delete the two leftmost columns.

Good Luck.
Brenda Harris

Excel 5--Proper Case Problem

Post by Veronica Bur » Tue, 05 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> Greetings,

> We are having difficulty converting text which has been typed in all CAPS
> to Proper Case.  The file consists of a simple mailing list, about 250 lines
> long.  We are trying to change the first and last name columns to Proper
> case from UPPER case.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> I normally use the following steps for similar cases:

1) Insert extra columns next to the First & Last name columns.
2) Enter the formula
   =Proper(cell reference)

   in the first cell of the new column (where cell reference is the cell containing the text in
   Uppercase). Then copy the formula down to the rest of the column.  Do this for each column.

3) Copy the column containing the formula then choose Paste Special and values.  This will
   replace the formulae with the values.  Again do this for each column.

4) Delete the columns with text in Uppercase.

And that should be it!

Hope this helps and is explained clearly enough.

Usual Disclaimer!!!

Any opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers