Getting text entry in one cell to return text entry in adjoining cell

Getting text entry in one cell to return text entry in adjoining cell

Post by Heather Minnic » Tue, 02 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I would like to know if it's possible to create some sort of macro or
array or VB script so that when a particular text entry in one cell is
entered, it automatically enters it's definition in the cell next to it.

In other words, I have a comany that supplies me one text for it's
product, and we use another text entry internally, and I need a way to
have the text entry for the vendor's number to return my number in the
next cell over, without having to constantlly type it in.

Anyone out there know how to do this? Thanks,

Heather Minnich

Getting text entry in one cell to return text entry in adjoining cell

Post by Alan Beba » Tue, 02 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Unless I'm misunderstanding the post (e.g., I'm not quite grasping "the
text entry for the vendor's number" or "my number"), one might consider a
lookup table with all possible vendor texts in the first column,
corresponding internal texts in the second column, and a simple VLOOKUP
formula in the cell alongside the one in which the vendor text is entered.

> I would like to know if it's possible to create some sort of macro or
> array or VB script so that when a particular text entry in one cell is
> entered, it automatically enters it's definition in the cell next to it.

> In other words, I have a comany that supplies me one text for it's
> product, and we use another text entry internally, and I need a way to
> have the text entry for the vendor's number to return my number in the
> next cell over, without having to constantlly type it in.

> Anyone out there know how to do this? Thanks,

> Heather Minnich

Getting text entry in one cell to return text entry in adjoining cell

Post by Clar » Tue, 02 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I have found the "select case" VB statement useful in these situations.
A user defined function with the "select case" is easy to maintain. The
drawback is mis-spellings can fall through.

Look up the "select" statement in help to see an example.

I suppose a VLOOKUP could be used. They can get messy when adding
statements, where as the user defined function based on the "select
case" is only updated in one place (especially if its in your
personal.xls).

--
Beware of apparently linear relationships in a decidedly non-linear world.
remove .not to reply

Post by E. J. Bil » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I would like to know if it's possible to create some sort of macro or
> array or VB script so that when a particular text entry in one cell is
> entered, it automatically enters it's definition in the cell next to it.

> In other words, I have a comany that supplies me one text for it's
> product, and we use another text entry internally, and I need a way to
> have the text entry for the vendor's number to return my number in the
> next cell over, without having to constantlly type it in.

> Anyone out there know how to do this? Thanks,

> Heather Minnich

==================
Heather:
   You don't need a macro, you can accomplish what you want with a
worksheet function.  You can use VLOOKUP (or HLOOKUP) to do this.  Create
a table that lists the whole table of company's text in column X (for
example) & your text in column Y.  Let's say the table occupies the range
$X$1:$Y$250. Then let's say you enter company text in a cell A1, you want
your text in B1.  Use the following formula in B1:

 =VLOOKUP(A1,$X$1:$Y$250,2,0)

   The syntax of the VLOOKUP function is

 =vlookup(lookup_value,table_array,col_index_num,range_lookup).
    See the On-line Help for more info.

   E-mail me if you have any problems or questions.

--
Joe Billo
Department of Chemistry, Boston College

1. formatting cells with both text and other cell references

I have a cell which contains both text and other cell references, a date
reference to be specific.  Is there a way to format the cell so that the
date will be displayed as a date instead of as a number?

I currently have ="Inventory as of "&Date(Date!E3,1,1) which is displaying
"Inventory for 35796".  I'd like it to display "Inventory for 01/01/99"

Thanks for any help...
--
Anthony L Cree
"You've got to speculate to accumulate" - the full monty

2. Pascal Source Code and Articles

3. Function to change text in cell (A2) to cell address (=A2)

4. CABLETRON'S SPECTRUM - FDDI DEVICES

5. Question: Cell formula or macro to write result of one cell to another cell

6. Samba support for dial in?

7. Search for text through multiple cells and return 1 if found and 0 if not

8. Atari to PC Null modem transfers

9. VBA code for returning text from a cell comment in EXCEL

10. 123 Formula (Text + Cell Reference + Text)

11. Change text color in cell based on text

12. Excel Macro: How change "Text" to "Text (6)" in multiple cells

13. New one-handed text entry system for hand held devices.