HELP! Lotus 123 3.1 WON'T Accept Numbers

HELP! Lotus 123 3.1 WON'T Accept Numbers

Post by Tom Ruta, IS » Wed, 15 Mar 1995 01:09:57

I have a Compaq 486/25 SX that is doing some really wied stuff with a new load of Lotus 3.1.  It all runs
fine, except when you try to type in a number into a cell.  All that appears is a strange "0" like character,
and no number. Has anyone ever seen this????   (p.s.  We reloaded, loaded onto another machine --
which works, BTW and did the virus check thing all to no avail!)  ARRGGHHH!!!

ANY help greatly appreciated.

TIA!

   Tom Ruta, ISP                      "Nunc hoc in marmore
   Manager, Information Services        non est incision"
   Tarragon Oil and Gas Limited
   FAX:   (403)262-5324

HELP! Lotus 123 3.1 WON'T Accept Numbers

Post by Michael L. Wilki » Wed, 15 Mar 1995 21:42:54

If memory serves, there was a problem with Lotus 3.1 and the SX chip. When
it "sees" the '486 chip, it assumes that it is a DX, i.e. with a math
co-processor. There is some sort of Lotus start-up sequence to over-ride
this assumption. Check your docs. Sorry, I have never used 3.1 nor an SX so
I do not remember the startup sequence.

Quote:>I have a Compaq 486/25 SX that is doing some really wied stuff with a new

load of Lotus 3.1.  It all runs
Quote:>fine, except when you try to type in a number into a cell.  All that appears

is a strange "0" like character,
Quote:>and no number. Has anyone ever seen this????   (p.s.  We reloaded, loaded

onto another machine --
>which works, BTW and did the virus check thing all to no avail!)  ARRGGHHH!!!

>ANY help greatly appreciated.

>TIA!

>   Tom Ruta, ISP                      "Nunc hoc in marmore
>   Manager, Information Services        non est incision"
>   Tarragon Oil and Gas Limited
>   FAX:   (403)262-5324

HELP! Lotus 123 3.1 WON'T Accept Numbers

Post by Dean Musgra » Sun, 19 Mar 1995 04:19:35

Quote:> fine, except when you try to type in a number into a cell.  All that appears is
>  a strange "0" like character,

It's been awhile since I've used version 3.1 but here goes...

I believe you are viewing the worksheet in "map" mode, ie cells show

You need to alter the Worksheet Defaults and change the display option,
but I can't remember off-hand exactly how to do it.  If you can't find it
in Worksheet Defaults, look in Global.

If you still have problems, e-mail me and I'll load up 3.1 and have a
look myself.

--
Cheers,
Dean.