Excel: can add-ins be saved within an Excel file?

Excel: can add-ins be saved within an Excel file?

Post by Geoff Lambe » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 10:32:09

Can you save loaded add-ins within an Excel data file, in order that
you can send the data file to a user who doesn't have the add-in
loaded on their system?

Geoff Lambert

Excel: can add-ins be saved within an Excel file?

Post by Chip Pearso » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 22:53:30

Geoff,

No, you would have to send the add-ins separately.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

Quote:> Can you save loaded add-ins within an Excel data file, in order
that
> you can send the data file to a user who doesn't have the add-in
> loaded on their system?

> Geoff Lambert

Excel: can add-ins be saved within an Excel file?

Post by Glenn P » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 01:22:08

You probably already know this, but you could save the *code* from the
add-in within the Excel data file--it just wouldn't be an add-in any
more.

> Can you save loaded add-ins within an Excel data file, in order that
> you can send the data file to a user who doesn't have the add-in
> loaded on their system?

> Geoff Lambert

Excel: can add-ins be saved within an Excel file?

Post by Snoopy Da » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 02:39:28

I would be interested in knowing how to access the code for the
add-ins ... it is password protected.

> You probably already know this, but you could save the *code* from the
> add-in within the Excel data file--it just wouldn't be an add-in any
> more.

> > Can you save loaded add-ins within an Excel data file, in order that
> > you can send the data file to a user who doesn't have the add-in
> > loaded on their system?

> > Geoff Lambert

1. Using MS Excel 4 add-ins with Excel 5.0a...

I am using a MS Excel 4.0 macro sheet with Excel 5.0a (It is well over
100K and I don't want to rewrite it in VBA just yet). Under version 4.0,
I used to load the add-in "File Functions" to have access to macro
functions like CREATE.DIRECTORY(), DELETE.DIRECTORY(), FILES(), and
others.

The problem is, now that I am testing the macros for use by people with
Excel 5.0, the File Functions add-in apparently loads, but I cannot use
the functions that I named above. I tried loading the File Functions
add-in by a macro command, and checked that the new functions were
available to me by looking in the list box that comes up when I select
the Insert Function... command. But when I try to use the new functions,
I get a #NAME! error. The same thing happens when I load the add-in
manually, and point the add-ins manager to the correct file using the
Browse... button. It even happens when I first copy the File Functions
add-in to the Macro Library folder that Excel 5.0 uses. Finally, I have
experimented with the add-in that provides compatibility with MS Excel
4.0 add-ins, both with and without also loading File Functions itself,
all without success.

I would be grateful for any help/suggestions that any of you Excel
old-timers like me can provide. Please respond by email only, as I do
not read this newsgroup. If there is sufficient interest, I pledge on my
honor to summarize the best responses and post them here.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.
--
Michael Roberts           | "Don't ever wrestle a pig. You'll both

                          |             -Attributed to many sources
Speaking only for myself. |

2. USING SERVER'S FILESAVE & FILEOPEN FROM THE CONTAINER

3. Split Large Excel file to multiple excel files and possible save the files

4. Error message: Error deleting file or Folder

5. ADV: OMDI Excel add-ins now downloadable

6. Intel Vivisectors Probed By US FTC: Intel Scrutinized

7. Excel add-ins intruding into Publisher

8. We have a client that machine Wind2k SP2 that now insists on connecting to

9. Excel Add-Ins?

10. How to convert Excel 95 add-ins back to .xls

11. Excel add-ins not recognized by VB5

12. can arrow add-ins be used in Excel 4.0