Chart hidden columns?

Post by Michael P. Broid » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 02:29:22

Hi!
        Using Excel2000...  In ONE .xls file, I have one worksheet with columns
        of data and a second worksheet with several charts based on those columns.

        Since some of the columns are derived from others, I would like to HIDE
        the derived columns.

        But when I HIDE the columns, all chart series for those columns disappear!
        No lines show up, the legends for those series go away, etc.

        Unhiding the columns makes the chart series show up, so the charts still
        retain the knowledge of the series spec.

        Is there a way to force the charts to show data even if the source column
        is hidden??

                Mike

Chart hidden columns?

Post by Michael P. Broid » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 04:58:04

> Hi!
>         Using Excel2000...  In ONE .xls file, I have one worksheet with columns
>         of data and a second worksheet with several charts based on those columns.

>         Since some of the columns are derived from others, I would like to HIDE
>         the derived columns.

>         But when I HIDE the columns, all chart series for those columns disappear!
>         No lines show up, the legends for those series go away, etc.

>         Unhiding the columns makes the chart series show up, so the charts still
>         retain the knowledge of the series spec.

>         Is there a way to force the charts to show data even if the source column
>         is hidden??

I found a way to do it!  Yay!

I'm using Excel 2000; This option may or may not be
present in other versions of Excel.

Setup the chart as usual, while the data columns are visible.
Hide the columns in the usual manner.
Select the chart.
From the main menu bar, select Tools->Options.
On the popup, select the Chart tab.
Since a chart is selected, the "Active Chart" section
        of that tab will be accessible.
Uncheck "Plot visible cells only".
Voila!  Data can be hidden, but still be charted.  :)

        Mike

1. QPro/Win and copying column widths / hidden columns

I've got a notebook where I've hidden some columns, widened others, and
in general done a lot of formatting on the first page.  Now I want to
duplicate _all_ the formatting on the next page.  Unfortunately,
everything I've tried so far has copied cell-specific information - font,
weight, stuff like that - but I haven't been able to copy column widths
or the fact that columns are hidden.  I'd be happy if I could just get
the column widths to copy - anyone have any ideas as to how to pull this
off?

2. inter50?.zip - MS-DOS Interrupt List, Release 50

3. Excel Charting: line/column combo chart problems

4. More Fortran issues.

5. Charting Non-adjacent columns in an xy chart

6. Centered Tables in FP98

7. hiding sat/sun in default gantt chart view

8. VSIPL

9. Hiding Non-working time on Gantt Chart

10. Hide non-working time from Gantt Chart view

11. Hide names in Org Chart

12. hide row & column headings: is it possible?

13. Excel 2000 - Pasting Values /Forrmats/ column widths/ non hidden cells to new workbook