VB/VBA Same?

Post by Tony Tse » Thu, 15 Aug 1996 04:00:00

   Hi, I have a question about Visual Basic.  I have been programming in
VBA for Excel for about a month and a half.  I have a few questions that I
hope people can help me with:
        1)VBA stands for Visual Basic Application?
        2)On a resume do you put Visual Basic or Visual Basic Application?
        3)Is VB like VBA?
        4)What is the difference between the two.
        5)Would I have much trouble learning VB, if I know how to use VBA?
  Thanks for all the help!
-Tony

VB/VBA Same?

Post by Jens Balchen J » Thu, 15 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>    1)VBA stands for Visual Basic Application?

No, it's Visual Basic for Applications.

Quote:>    2)On a resume do you put Visual Basic or Visual Basic Application?

That, of course, depends on what you've been doing. But in your case, you
put VBA.

Quote:>    3)Is VB like VBA?

Well, a little. Of course, you can do more in VB, and so on.

Quote:>    4)What is the difference between the two.

The "for Applications" part. VBA is integrated into an application, VB
isn't.

Quote:>    5)Would I have much trouble learning VB, if I know how to use VBA?

A little, yes.

--
VB Info: http://www.sn.no/~balchen/vb/visual.htm
FAQ: http://www.sn.no/~balchen/vb/faq.htm

VB/VBA Same?

Post by William Spencer Bla » Thu, 15 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>   Hi, I have a question about Visual Basic.  I have been programming in
>VBA for Excel for about a month and a half.  I have a few questions that I
>hope people can help me with:
>    1)VBA stands for Visual Basic Application?
>    2)On a resume do you put Visual Basic or Visual Basic Application?
>    3)Is VB like VBA?
>    4)What is the difference between the two.
>    5)Would I have much trouble learning VB, if I know how to use VBA?
>  Thanks for all the help!
>-Tony

1) It actually stands for Visual Basic for Applications.
2) I know it takes up valuable real estate but Visual Basic for
Applications, and definately not VBA <-- a resume no-no.
3 and 4) No way, first of all, VB is its own programming language.  VBA
only works for Excel, at least as of Excel 5.0. I heard that Micro$oft
was working on making VBA work with Word, Access, and maybe even
PowerPoint as well as Excel.  Don't quote me. With VB you can create
applications for whatever you want, not with VBA.  With VBA you are
limited to spreadsheet activities--huh limited to, you can do
practically anything with them now, but you know what I mean. VB's
toolbar has 38 control buttons, while VBA has only 16 on the Forms
toolbar. Anyway, you get the picture they are not the same, while not
being far apart.
5) I don't think you would have trouble learning VB.

As I put in an earlier post to this newsgroup, check out The Visual
Guide to Visual Basic for Applications.

VB/VBA Same?

Post by Frank Isaac » Thu, 15 Aug 1996 04:00:00

PMFJI -

Actually, VBA is in Excel 5 and 7, Access 7, Visual Basic 4, and Project
95. According to Microsoft's press release on their web site, it will be
the standard in Office 97, which I infer means it will replace WordBasic.
And Microsoft has recently completed licensing agreements with several
companies for them to integrate it into their products, notably Visio.

As for learning VB after knowing VBA, it's a big part of it, especially if
you move to VB4, where the same engine is used. Certainly, VB is a more
robust environment (being a superset of VBA). But it will take more than a
month and a half <G>...

-Frank

Quote:> 3 and 4) No way, first of all, VB is its own programming language.  VBA
> only works for Excel, at least as of Excel 5.0. I heard that Micro$oft
> was working on making VBA work with Word, Access, and maybe even
> PowerPoint as well as Excel.  Don't quote me. With VB you can create
> applications for whatever you want, not with VBA.  With VBA you are
> limited to spreadsheet activities--huh limited to, you can do
> practically anything with them now, but you know what I mean. VB's
> toolbar has 38 control buttons, while VBA has only 16 on the Forms
> toolbar. Anyway, you get the picture they are not the same, while not
> being far apart.

VB/VBA Same?

Post by Ed Hansber » Fri, 16 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>   Hi, I have a question about Visual Basic.  I have been programming in
>VBA for Excel for about a month and a half.  I have a few questions that I
>hope people can help me with:
>    1)VBA stands for Visual Basic Application?

Yes.

Quote:>    2)On a resume do you put Visual Basic or Visual Basic Application?

After only using it for a month and a half, you put neither.<G>
Unless you are in the computer field, very few will even know what VB
or VBA stand for.

Quote:>    3)Is VB like VBA?

Yes.  Quite similar in logic and syntax.

Quote:>    4)What is the difference between the two.

VB is for writing applications.  VBA is for automation of an existing
app, like Excel or Access.  VBA can get sophisticated enough though
that the end user may not know they are actually working with Excel
with a VBA macro interface.

Quote:>    5)Would I have much trouble learning VB, if I know how to use VBA?

You really shouldn't.  VB is certainly more powerful than VBA, so
there are more commands, objects, etc. to learn.

Quote:>  Thanks for all the help!
>-Tony

________________________________
Ed Hansberry

Running MS Office Professional 95
Using Excel 7.0a for Windows 95

VB/VBA Same?

Post by KdCowan4 » Wed, 04 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>>        5)Would I have much trouble learning VB, if I know how to use VBA?

You will only have trouble if learning to deal with increased flexibility
and control for some reason bothers you.

Just one warning - when you go back to working with Excel's version, you
are going to feel some walls arising that you can't access certain
functionality features.  I know my biggest problem is the lack of ability
in VBA to access all the properties of a control.

1. Automate Error Handling - VB/VBA Code Library

Already got yours but I'm going to create a Newsgroup Regular section and move you
much higher in my list.  <smile>

Tony
----
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
   VolStar http://www.volstar.com Manage hundreds or
thousands of volunteers for special events.

2. ACAPD unter FreeBSD ?

3. London EC2 - VB, VBA, SQL Server A/P-Commodities Banking c£35,000 + Bonus + Benefits

4. http://hackyourself.com:4000/dominiscan.dyn issue

5. Need good VB, VBA, OLE, Oracle7, Excel programmer for Oracle HQ Development position...

6. Speed of Infra Red Port?

7. VB/VBA: Creating list of variables and parsing statements

8. Table in Word S5 and Windows

9. Difference For each VB-VBA

10. Calculate the First derivative Non graphically via vba / VB

11. VBA Question - Optimizing Excel Range to VB Array

12. how to call VB functions from VBA?

13. Make this VB 3.0 declaration in XL5.0 VBA