Combining data fields into 1 field

Post by Richard E. Kat » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I am presently converting data from Q&A to import into a legal case
managment system.

In Q&A, the name data is kept in seperate fields for  FIRST, LAST and
MIDDLE.  I have imported these no problem into Excel 7.0.

I need to combine these fields into a SINGLE field for export with the
format Last, First Middle     and     First Middle Last.

Is there any function within Excel that will allow me to do this.  Any
help is GREATLY appreciated

Richard E. Katz, Esq

Combining data fields into 1 field

Post by Michael Jenkin » Fri, 16 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Assuming FIRST is in A1, MIDDLE is in B1, LAST is in C1 try
=C1&",(space)"&A1&"(space)"&B1 and
=A1&"(space)"&B1&"(space)"&C1

(Of course you should insert actual spaces where I have written (space))

This should concatenate the names into single fields in the format you were
looking for.

If you wish to reply by email, remove the XX from the front of my address.

Regards,

Michael Jenkins

> I am presently converting data from Q&A to import into a legal case
> managment system.

> In Q&A, the name data is kept in seperate fields for  FIRST, LAST and
> MIDDLE.  I have imported these no problem into Excel 7.0.

> I need to combine these fields into a SINGLE field for export with the
> format Last, First Middle     and     First Middle Last.

> Is there any function within Excel that will allow me to do this.  Any
> help is GREATLY appreciated

> Richard E. Katz, Esq

Combining data fields into 1 field

Post by Chris Nelso » Sat, 17 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Assuming the following layout:
Last Name in Col. A
First Name or Initial in Col. B
Middle Name or Initial in Col. C

To obtain "First Middle Last":
=B1&" "&C1&" "&A1

To obtain "Last, First Middle"
=A1&", "&B1&" "&C1

Chris

Post by E. J. Bil » Sat, 17 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> I am presently converting data from Q&A to import into a legal case
> managment system.

> In Q&A, the name data is kept in seperate fields for  FIRST, LAST and
> MIDDLE.  I have imported these no problem into Excel 7.0.

> I need to combine these fields into a SINGLE field for export with the
> format Last, First Middle     and     First Middle Last.

> Is there any function within Excel that will allow me to do this.  Any
> help is GREATLY appreciated

> Richard E. Katz, Esq

===========
Use the & ampersand to concatenate text.
For example, for your data with Richard in A1, Katz in B1, E. in C1

then in D1 enter the formula =A1 & C1 & B1
This cell will display RichardE.Katz

You probably want spaces between, so use the formula =A1&" "&C1&" "&B1
This will display Richard E. Katz

Use a similar formula to provide the desired comma.

--
Joe Billo
Department of Chemistry, Boston College

1. Combining fields to act like one field in a PivotTabe

I have a spreadsheet with thousands of lines of data for which I want to
produce a PivotTable.   The problem is I want to merge 3 columns and treat
it as one column with respect to the PivotTable.   For example,

Name1    Name2    Name3     Customer     Cost
David      Mike       Jill            Widgets       5000
David      Jill                          Connectors  3000

Essentially it would be the same as making the array look like this

Name     Customer    Cost
David     Widgets      5000
Mike      Widgets      5000
Jill          Widgets     5000
David      Connectors 3000
Jill         Connectors 3000

Any thoughts on how I can do this?

I am running Excel 2000 (Microsoft Office 2000)

David

2. Memory Leaks in VS.NET?

3. Combining SDTS data with GPS field data

4. Year to year comparison in Money 2003

5. Text Flow field to field? HELP HELP

6. Hello

7. loosing acroform fields when view Windows/Fields

8. Linksys BEFVP41 DNS settings for DHCP Server

9. Evaluating a field containing a field name

10. PROC SQL - concat a field with num type with field with char type

11. PROC SQL and Compressing a field to create another field

12. Field by Field Comparisons

13. 5250 Field+ and Field- keys