Opposite of a Pivot Table??

Post by Sullivan, Bo » Wed, 30 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Dear List,

I am looking for a function that will essentially be the opposite of a
pivot table. I have data now that looks like it was produced with a pivot
table (it was not). Each name in the lis appears once down the left side of
the table, and there are eight different possible categories that appear as
columns along the top. Some rows have one entry in the various columns,
some have several.

I am looking for a non macro procedure that will turn this data into three
columns of date. The first column would contain the name, the second the
category (from the column headers) and the thrid the amount that appears in
the data section. So when finished, if a person has two entries in the
former "pivot table" he will now have two rows in the new alignment. If a
single entry, then a single row. If three entries, then three rows, and so
on.

Is there an excel function or procedure that performs essentially the
opposite of a pivot table?

Thanks for any help in this matter.
--
Cordially,
Bob Sullivan

The opinions, spelling and grammar contained herein are my
own and do not reflect those of Roy F. Weston, Inc., or Noah Webster.

"Those that don't read good books have no material advantage over
those that can't."
-Mark Twain

1. Hand coding of Pivot Tables - Problem with Pivot data field

I am writing am application that uses a pivot table as the basis for
analysis.  I am utilising array's to hold the values required by user in
the construction of the the pivot table,  the number of data values
required in the data area is also variable but I can not ge the VB code to
accept the passing of an array to the pivot data field property.  Can
anyone help ?

The code can be summariosed as below.

Set Pivot1 = Worksheets("Results").PivotTables("Results")

    Pivot1.AddFields RowFields:=RowArray
    Pivot1.PivotFields("FieldName").Orientation = xlDataField

I would like to pass an array list to the Pivot Fields part.

Any clues ?  Please e-mail me as out news feed can be slow.

Andrew Logie

2. Are all sequencing/recording programs created equal??

3. XL2000: Pivot Table persists after table refresh

4. <UPDATE>MAC WEBMASTERS CONFERENCE IN CHICAGO

5. Creating a Table of Values (Pivot Table??)

6. Needed: Cyrillic Truetype font

7. Could multiresponse crosstabulation tables look like pivot tables in spss 11.0?

8. Supra Accelerator

9. Could crosstabulation tables look like pivot tables in spss 11.0?

10. How do I rename "Tables" label in pivot tables?

11. Compare multiple tables - hopefully through a pivot table?

12. Pivot table to remain intact - even if data table is removed

13. Excel 97 v. Excel XP Pivot Table Limits