Lats/Longs

Post by Chris Hartnel » Sun, 06 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Does anyone know anything about converting WGS-84 coordinates to
distances in metres?

--

Lats/Longs

Post by Dennis Hagart » Wed, 09 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Does anyone know anything about converting WGS-84 coordinates to
> distances in metres?

Well, I think WGS formats are in meters already aren't they (I'm not
familar with that datum)? Therefore, it is the square of the difference
in Easting, plus the square of the difference in Northing, and take the
square root (make sure your coordinates have the correct number of
digits and you aren't working in 100 meter grids).

You can check the results with Great Circle calculators on the net.
But for authorative information, you should look at:

sci.geo.satellite-nav (probably though Deja News - there's a lot of
                       history on this).

Dennis (who just figured out LAT/LONG distance in Excel - ain't easy)

1. Computing course and direction from Lat/Long values

I saw the answer to this question in one of the (real) pilot magazines
but must have thrown it out; hope someone here can help.

Given Lat/Long values how can I compute the course and the distance
between two points?  This is for flight planning across the Atlantic:
56N10W - 55N20W - 54N30W and so on ... I know it's spherical trig and
involves lots of Arctans and what not.

Manchester, England

2. visor bi-fold case

3. Lat/Long co-ordinates

4. Is there C++ before C?

5. Expanded Lat/Long

6. Drivers for Brother M1409 and HR5

7. FS98 Lat/long format?

8. Closing PDF files on Acrobat 4.0

9. Lat. Long. of an Island help

10. Is there a File in FS98 with Navaid/lat-long info

11. FS98 Lat/Long format: How to change it.

12. How to calculate new Lat/Long???

13. OT: Lat/Long Data for Mexican Geographies