Using Vlookup

Post by excel us » Sun, 20 Jul 2003 07:38:42

Hi,
I have a couple of questions and would really appreciate help on them.

I am trying to find out from a series of data I have whether or not
the desired goal was acgieved.

For example, the goal being

Difference in percentage should lie within plus or minus 1%

Now , I have a set of values like

0.12%
12%
-0.07%
5%
.
.
.
.

I need to set up a formula in an adjacent column such that it checks
the above values and sees if it lies within plus or minus 1% and
accordingly signals green or red.

How do I go about setting this formula?

Thanks in advance :)

Using Vlookup

Post by wisema » Mon, 21 Jul 2003 02:59:55

I don't quite understand.  plus or minus 1% of what?  the cell above or are
they all being compared with one number?

Conditional formatting will be able to give different colours depending on
value.

If you can give some more information you may get a more specific answer.
Barbara

Quote:> Hi,
> I have a couple of questions and would really appreciate help on them.

> I am trying to find out from a series of data I have whether or not
> the desired goal was acgieved.

> For example, the goal being

> Difference in percentage should lie within plus or minus 1%

> Now , I have a set of values like

> 0.12%
> 12%
> -0.07%
> 5%
> .
> .
> .
> .

> I need to set up a formula in an adjacent column such that it checks
> the above values and sees if it lies within plus or minus 1% and
> accordingly signals green or red.

> How do I go about setting this formula?

> Thanks in advance :)

Using Vlookup

Post by Lynn » Mon, 21 Jul 2003 06:37:57

I agree with Barbara: it is conditional formatting that you need, not a
lookup - in fact, not any separate cell formula at all.

Select the cells containing the percentages to be evaluated as meeting or
not meeting your 'goal'. Go to "Format", "Conditional Formatting". Apply the
following settings:

"Cell Value Is"
"between"
[your low flag percentage, i.e. -1%]
[your high flag percentage, i.e. 1%]

Click "Format" and choose how you want the cell to look when the condition
is met, i.e. your 'goal is achieved' - green text/fill etc.

Click Add

Apply the following settings:

"Cell Value Is"
"not between"
[your low flag percentage, i.e. -1%]
[your high flag percentage, i.e. 1%]

Click "Format" and choose how you want the cell to look when the condition
is not met, i.e. your 'goal is not achieved' - red text/fill etc.

Click OK.

Lynne Cartwright

Quote:> Hi,
> I have a couple of questions and would really appreciate help on them.

> I am trying to find out from a series of data I have whether or not
> the desired goal was acgieved.

> For example, the goal being

> Difference in percentage should lie within plus or minus 1%

> Now , I have a set of values like

> 0.12%
> 12%
> -0.07%
> 5%
> .
> .
> .
> .

> I need to set up a formula in an adjacent column such that it checks
> the above values and sees if it lies within plus or minus 1% and
> accordingly signals green or red.

> How do I go about setting this formula?

> Thanks in advance :)

1. Using vlookup with if statements

Hi....I've a question, and I hope its not already been asked.  I'm trying to
set up a formula that will allow me to look in a list, evaluate if the item
is there and then return one of two values.  The value of the item, if it is
there, and a 0 if it isn't, to be added into an existing formula.  Can this
be done, and if so, how would I do it?

Teri

2. Is the Windows API year 2000 compliant?

3. Using VLOOKUP in a VBA function

4. how to get 14400 performance?

5. Using Vlookup-function in module

6. Comp.realtime: A (LONG) list of real-time operating systems

7. While Using Vlookup Insted of Zero need Blanks...

8. Zortech C++

9. using rank and vlookup - excel

10. Question using @Xindex and @VLookup

11. to find particular column and insert one column and perform Vlookup using vba

12. Excel VLOOKUP array SUM error

13. excel function or conditional or vlookup???