excel application - splitting info in a column into two??

excel application - splitting info in a column into two??

Post by De » Mon, 14 Jul 2003 08:20:36

how does one "un-merge" info in one column into two?  i have info in
the column that needs to be "split" into two columns, rather than
having to manually delete the info for each cell...is this possible?
thanks in advance for your help :)

excel application - splitting info in a column into two??

Post by Dave Peterso » Mon, 14 Jul 2003 10:38:36

If the data is nice, you can do Data|Text to columns.  There's options for
delimited (like with a space or comma) and fixed width (like first 20
characters, then last 10).

Make sure you insert at least one column to the right--you don't want to
overwrite any existing data.

A common question is how to split names up (first/last).  It ain't simple.
(Jimmy Johnson, Jr.  Dr. Ralph Jones, MD make it difficult.)

Chip Pearson has some worksheet formulas and VBA code at:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/FirstLast.htm
for these kinds of things

--

Dave Peterson

1. Creating Excel Plug-Ins: Latest Info?

The Microsoft Web page mentions the Excel 5.0 SDK.

Is this the latest (NON-BETA) version?

Does it have its own web page (I couldn't find one...)

What is the product number for the Excel 5.0 SDK?

Where can I order this product?

Thanks,
Mark

--
Mark S. Johnson                 http://www.calpoly.edu/~mjohnson/

2. Configuring Windows 95 as a client to Netware 3.12 server

3. split a row into Two rows - Excel

4. infidel help?

5. Comparing contents in two columns - what is best way in Excel?

6. Announce: Excalibur 2.5.1 Available

7. Excel 4: Combining text in two columns?

8. LT Winmodem PCI on HP Netserver LC-3

9. Joining two columns of text into one using Excel

10. EXCEL 4: COMBINING TEXT IN TWO COLUMNS?

11. *Comparing two columns and sum unique values in excel *

12. two column printing part two

13. Excel: can add-ins be saved within an Excel file?