WORKBOOK FORMATS XL5 & XL4

Post by Tim Am » Thu, 07 Apr 1994 11:47:04

John, You sound knowledgable re: Excel so I am asking you for help. I have
recently switched from Excel 4 to 5, and my workbooks are difficult to read in
5 because there is no page that lists the worksheets [with their full
descriptions], and when I look at the tabs in XL5, I can not read the complete
description written in XL4. It is even worse when I have frozen the first
column [Dates or Titles]- the tabs are tiny and unreadable. It is also
difficult to keep track of all the worksheets in the workbook since there
doesn't seem to be a way to look at all the names at one time. Is there any
way to view that XL4 workbook listing of worksheets in XL5? Or is there a way
to see all the worksheets names in XL5? Appreciate any help, Tim

WORKBOOK FORMATS XL5 & XL4

Post by Brian Cerno » Fri, 08 Apr 1994 07:04:36

First off, worksheet names appear to be limited to 31
characters.  Second, you can get a list of sheets in the
workbook by clicking with your right mouse button on
the tab arrows to the left of worksheet tabs.  This will
give you a list of up to 15 worksheets.  If you have more
than 15 worksheets, then the last name in the list will be
"More Sheets..."  By choosing this option, Excel will
bring up an "Activate" dialog box where it will list all the
worksheets in the
current workbook for you to choose from.

Hope this sheds some light on what you needed.

Post by Stas Philip » Fri, 08 Apr 1994 20:26:02

: John, You sound knowledgable re: Excel so I am asking you for help. I have
: recently switched from Excel 4 to 5, and my workbooks are difficult to read in
: 5 because there is no page that lists the worksheets [with their full
: descriptions], and when I look at the tabs in XL5, I can not read the complete
: description written in XL4. It is even worse when I have frozen the first
: column [Dates or Titles]- the tabs are tiny and unreadable. It is also
: difficult to keep track of all the worksheets in the workbook since there
: doesn't seem to be a way to look at all the names at one time. Is there any
: way to view that XL4 workbook listing of worksheets in XL5? Or is there a way
: to see all the worksheets names in XL5? Appreciate any help, Tim

What I have is even worse. I have a lot of macro's in XL4, using
activates, workbook.selects, ...
This is not working any more in XL5. Even the echo(true), echo(false)
commands r not there any more.
So my macro's run now showing all selecting cells in the macro sheet,
than jumps to other sheets, ...

Is there anything to do against it? It took more more then one month of
macro writing, and I'ld like the macro to keep working (using all
possible dialog boxes, and ading sheets that were made outside the
workbook to the workbook.
Also, I have to shift back, because I need my crosstab tables (I use
four different ones in one workbiik).

To all XL-wizards: is there a solutiop

Thanks

1. XL4 workbooks in XL5?

Hi,

Is there a way to change macro's that were written for XL4 workbooks
into a working XL5 macro?
I have a workbook, it contains a macro that activates several sheets in
the same workbook and copies things from one to another. Herefor, I use
alot of workbook.activate, WORKBOOK.SELECT and other workbook.macro
commands. These however are not recognized by XL5.

Since I spend a lot of programming on my macro's, should I drop the
problem and downgrade to XL4 again (after eeing the program I would
prefer to do this), or is there a program that changes macro's into
visual basic modeules  for XL5.

IS there anyone out there that can convince me in some way that Visual
basic is a good thing, rather than a loss of time for experienced XL
users?

Johor

2. Y2K research project

3. XL5 - Unprotecting Workbooks &/or Sheets

4. Thirteenth Annual ASEET Symposium

5. How do I load XL4 add-ins using XL5??

6. if you will behave Sherry's street above eggs, it will crudely climb the bucket

7. Macro in XL4 to Visual Basic in XL5

8. palmtop show at birmingham

9. Is HISTOGRAM Tool goofy in XL5.0 vs. XL4.0?

10. XL5 DOESN'T RUN XL4 MACRO - Help!

11. Customizing a data form (XL4, XL5, VBA)

12. XL4: recovering partly saved workbook: fooling XL