Strange shrinking of Excel file

Post by Salil Bha » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 20:45:33

hi all,

   I had made an Excel file in XL 2000 version which upon saving the
file was of size 165KB. Upon re-opening the file and saving it again,
the size was found to change to 112KB and there were no observed
changes in the file. The file is an excel calculation spreadsheet with
mostly empty rows containing calculation formulae. There are a few
columns with drop-down boxes, that's all.

   Can anybody hint how this "magic" supposedly happened? Or at least
suggest a more fitting group for the posting?

thanks and bye
salil

Strange shrinking of Excel file

Post by Rommert J. Casimi » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:11:51

Quote:> hi all,

>    I had made an Excel file in XL 2000 version which upon saving the
> file was of size 165KB. Upon re-opening the file and saving it again,
> the size was found to change to 112KB and there were no observed
> changes in the file. The file is an excel calculation spreadsheet with
> mostly empty rows containing calculation formulae. There are a few
> columns with drop-down boxes, that's all.

>    Can anybody hint how this "magic" supposedly happened? Or at least
> suggest a more fitting group for the posting?

Excel 2000 really seems to have improved on its predecessors that blew op
spreadsheets to monstrous sizes. Probably space for unused cells is now
properly recovered

1. HELP !!! - EXCEL is shrinking files !!

This one has me stuck.

I have just installed a new Netware 4.1 server to replace a firm's old
3.12 server. After the migration Excel 5 (Both when installed as
standalone & Network copies) corrupts all it's files when saved to a
network drive using 'SAVE' / 'SAVE AS'. Saving the files to C: does not
generate a problem (copying them to a network drive afterwards is also
fine). It is only when Excel is used to save the file to a network drive.
The files are also much smaller when saved to a network drive rather than
C:. Netware is has compression turned off, suballocation on & using DOS
namespaces.

Help ! looks like a ton of bricks heading my way.

2. Mac SE NI board

3. Word and Excel files shrink in pdf format

4. Dial-up a Windows 95 PC with PPP

5. Heat shrink without heat shrink gun possible?

6. Update - Clients cannot FTP from SBS 4.5

7. link Excel files (Excel table) in MS-word with MS Excel files.

8. Windows 2000 Server DNS name

9. Split Large Excel file to multiple excel files and possible save the files

10. Strange EXCEL file: A bug in 8.2 ???

11. Amazing Shrinking Columns in Excel 97

12. Shrink Excel Worksheet size