Using user-defined functions as add-ins?

Using user-defined functions as add-ins?

Post by fili » Wed, 25 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I have programmed several user-defined functions in the vba editor for excel
97. In former excell versions one could compile these and use them as an
add-in, which makes calcultions faster. In excell 97 this feature seems to
have disappeared however. Does someone know how I can do this? The really
dreadful help-function offers no solution except ordering a manual from
microsoft.

Thanks

Using user-defined functions as add-ins?

Post by John Walkenbac » Wed, 25 Nov 1998 04:00:00

You can still create add-ins in Excel 97. Use the File - Save As command and
select *.xla as the file type.

For more info, see:

----- Posted by John Walkenbach of JWalk & Associates -----
-----          Visit "The Spreadsheet Page"           -----
-----            http://www.j-walk.com/ss             -----

Quote:>I have programmed several user-defined functions in the vba editor for
excel
>97. In former excell versions one could compile these and use them as an
>add-in, which makes calcultions faster. In excell 97 this feature seems to
>have disappeared however. Does someone know how I can do this? The really
>dreadful help-function offers no solution except ordering a manual from
>microsoft.

>Thanks

1. How to build a user-defined function to be used in formulas of user-defined fields ??

Hi there,

Is it possible to build a function in VBA, and use that function when
building a calculation formula for a user-defined field?

----
Example of where I need that:

Often we plan common projects with a customer, where resources from the
customer as well as our resources work on the same task.

If I add the "work" field on the gant chart view, it gives me the combined
work of all resources (both companies)

This is correct, but I also want to add the information, what is the work
that only the resources of our company do.

So I thought it should be possible to assign resources from each company
into a different group, and add to the view a  user-defined field, lets say
Duration9.

Now the question is how to construct the formula for that user-defined
field.
Obviously, no built-in functions can give me the answer.
If I could an own VBA function, than I could scan all assignments, that
belong to the task, and sum up the work for each assignment resource, that
belongs to the resource group designating "our company".

I assume, some work-around could be made, like writing even handlers,
triggered each time a task is modified by user, and calculate and set the
userdefined value from the code.
But this is highly messy.
----------------
Anybody can help on this?

Dani

2. XSpecs 3D

3. Excel 97: macro losing control when user-defined function is used?

4. Maniac Mansion release date?

5. User Defined Function Problem in Add-In

6. Converting PINE Addressbooks to Outlook

7. Advice required: Multiple workbooks, User forms, Add-ins?

8. visual perl????

9. Excel 97 - Engineering Functions add-ins

10. Excel 5 - How to use Add-Ins Analysis functions in VBA

11. Help with Excel Add-ins and function macros

12. Recognizing functions in Add-Ins