Excel => Access via DDE

Post by ar.. » Thu, 01 Jul 1993 13:21:02

I'm trying to set up a DDE connection between from Excel to Access.  It seems
like it should be easy, but I'm having a world of trouble.  Following the
(scanty) documentation on the subject I do the following:

TaskID          =EXEC("Basdat.mdb")

This works as expected, returning an integer for TaskID.

AChannel        =INITIATE("Microsoft Access", "Basdat")

The manuals suggests using "Access" or "MSACCESS" as 'app_text', but as
neither worked and "Microsoft Access" did, I used the latter.  The manuals
also suggested using "BASDAT.MDB" instead of "Basdat".  Again the latter
worked the former returned an error.  Anyway, this seems to work and returns
a small integer for AChannel.

Excel => Access via DDE

Post by ar.. » Thu, 01 Jul 1993 13:24:03

I'm trying to set up a DDE connection between from Excel to Access.  It seems
like it should be easy, but I'm having a world of trouble.  Following the
(scanty) documentation on the subject I do the following:

TaskID          =EXEC("Basdat.mdb")

This works as expected, returning an integer for TaskID.

AChannel        =INITIATE("Microsoft Access", "Basdat")

The manuals suggests using "Access" or "MSACCESS" as 'app_text', but as
neither worked and "Microsoft Access" did, I used the latter.  The manuals
also suggested using "BASDAT.MDB" instead of "Basdat".  Again the latter
worked the former returned an error.  Anyway, this seems to work and returns
a small integer for AChannel.

                =EXECUTE(AChannel, "%fu")

Here is where the trouble is.  No matter what I send as 'execute_text' the
return value is #REF! (The EXECUTE request is refused.)  Does anyone see
what I'm missing here?  Has anyone used EXECUTE successfully?  I'd like to
see a sample of code.

One thing I've noticed is that Excel has a 'Ignore Remote Requests' check box
in the Options.Workspace dialog.  Does Access have a similar control?

I'd also like to know how to send commands, as opposed to keystrokes, to
Access via Excel's EXECUTE command.  Does Access follow the convention of
just embedding commands in square brackets?  For example:
                =EXECUTE(AChannel, "[Call Foo Bar][Beep]")

Any help would be greatly appreaciated.  Thanks!