Help with excel IF formula

Post by DeNnu » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 20:51:08

Hello,

Does anyone know if it's possible to make a formula with IF, were you
make excel look at part of the info in the cell? e.g. in cel A1 is
H0515-FB1 and you want the formula check for FB is the cel A1 (because
other cells are like; h1244-gm1, h1315-fo1, h0515-fb1)

What i want is that i can mark another cell if cel A1 (e.g.) has the
letters FB in it..

I hope i make sense, it's difficult to explain, even more in english
while i'ts not my native language,

thanks for any help

Kind regards

Dennis from Amsterdam, Netherlands.

Help with excel IF formula

Post by Rommert J. Casimi » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 22:14:53

Quote:> Hello,

> Does anyone know if it's possible to make a formula with IF, were you
> make excel look at part of the info in the cell? e.g. in cel A1 is
> H0515-FB1 and you want the formula check for FB is the cel A1 (because
> other cells are like; h1244-gm1, h1315-fo1, h0515-fb1)

> What i want is that i can mark another cell if cel A1 (e.g.) has the
> letters FB in it..

If it is unimportant where FB occurs, use FIND
If you know the position, Use MID

Look up both functions with the Help function

1. Help - Excel 5 function (VLOOKUP)/nested IFs

Greetings,

If you can help me.......much thanks in advance.

I have a table which has 9 columns, the thing is I want to scan each
cell on a given row.  Currently I am using nested if statements to do
this, which works fine until I get to the 8th "...IF(VLOOKUP....".  Excel
has decided that this is an "ERROR IN STATEMENT".

Any suggestions?

Jason Chittenden

2. not-logged-in stealing license on 3.12

3. Basic question re: Excel not saving formulas as formulas

4. 70-229 Preparation

5. Excel sum with nested ifs

6. Resource Workshop: wrong colors

7. Need Help converting Lotus 1-2-3 formula to MS Excel 2000

8. 'File' name scopes (was programming styles, productivity, etc...)

9. Help with Excel re replacing a formula

10. Excel 2000: Formula help w/Nesting in VLOOKUP

11. Help with Formula - Excel

12. Help Excel Formula with Variables