Question: Cell formula or macro to write result of one cell to another cell

Question: Cell formula or macro to write result of one cell to another cell

Post by Frederik Roman » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 20:43:53

Excel-97 (SR-2)

This is a long term problem that I have with Excel.

I mostly write worksheet applications that have plenty of
user-configurable parameters up front. This is fine for interactive
work and what-if scenarios.

However many of these turn into situations where I then want to scan
through parameters where it would be nice to insert new values into
the parameter cells under program control (either via a worksheet
cell, or using a macro).

There are far simpler cases over and above this that could benefit
from this too.

So is there an implementation of

        [G15] = Assign( H15, A15)  // H15 = Content of A15   ?

The point being that I don't want

        [A15] = H15

for reasons that several donor cells could write into A15 (I know this
raises the issue of precedence, but there could be a simple resolution
for this based on donor cell position).

TIA,
Fred.

Question: Cell formula or macro to write result of one cell to another cell

Post by Tom Ogilv » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 23:03:54

Hard to understand what you want, but if you want A15 to tell the function
where to get the value for the argument

[A15]    holds the string  "B30:B40"  (no quotes)

=Sum(Indirect(A15))
would sum the values found in B30:B40.

Perhaps that is what you are referring to.

Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

Quote:> Excel-97 (SR-2)

> This is a long term problem that I have with Excel.

> I mostly write worksheet applications that have plenty of
> user-configurable parameters up front. This is fine for interactive
> work and what-if scenarios.

> However many of these turn into situations where I then want to scan
> through parameters where it would be nice to insert new values into
> the parameter cells under program control (either via a worksheet
> cell, or using a macro).

> There are far simpler cases over and above this that could benefit
> from this too.

> So is there an implementation of

> [G15] = Assign( H15, A15)  // H15 = Content of A15   ?

> The point being that I don't want

> [A15] = H15

> for reasons that several donor cells could write into A15 (I know this
> raises the issue of precedence, but there could be a simple resolution
> for this based on donor cell position).

> TIA,
> Fred.

1. Macro needed: write cell reference to end of cell, for all cells

G'day everyone

I have no experience in writing macros for Excel, although I do
regularly record and tinker with macros in Word.  Please could someone
write the following macro for me :-)

Background: I'm a language translator and I need a macro that would
solve a problem I have with XLSX files.  As you may know, the raw data
in an XLSX file is stored in some seemingly random order (usually in
the
order in which the cells were edited), even though the cells are
displayed in Excel in the correct sequence.  My translation editor
extracts the translatable text from the XLSX file directly (basically
a plain text), which means that I'm forced to translate the content in
an order that is different from what it looks like in Excel itself.
What would be useful is if the cell reference (worksheet name, row and
column name/number) can be included in the actual text of each cell,
so
that I can see it while translating the individual cells (I can then
remove the added text later).

Macro: I need a macro that will write the location of each cell to the
end of that cell.  For example, if the current content of cell B3 in
the
worksheet "Sheet 1" is "Hello world!", then the macro should change
that
into "Hello world![[[Sheet 1|B|3]]]" or something like that.  This
should be done for all cells.

I realise that doing this might "break" some cells because they
contain
formulas, but I don't think that that would matter to me because it is
just temporary.  The cell reference need not be copied at the end of
the
cell -- it can also be at the start of the cell.

Can anyone help me with this, please?  I don't often have this
problem,
but colleagues of mine encounter it more frequently, and I would like
find a useful solution for them.

Thanks
Samuel

2. Marc Barrett

3. lotus123: cell display vs. cell formula

4. way to delete undeletable file?

5. EXCEL 5/HELP: row # of the active cell in cell formulas?

6. client-side SIEVE

7. Use of user defined Function in a cell cannot write to another cell

8. Why need to compile .cs?

9. Select cell in macro based on another cell's contents

10. Lotus: In a macro, access contents of a cell offset from the current cell?

11. Macro for assigning a colour +value to cell/cells

12. Compare one cell to a range of cells