Copying and Running Macros in Excel 4.0 For DOS

Copying and Running Macros in Excel 4.0 For DOS

Post by Kevin Dor » Fri, 11 Jun 1993 09:45:15

I'm wondering if anyone can explain why I can't copy an existing
macro into a new macro sheet, save it, then execute it.  I had
a project done in which a macro was developed for me to parse out
some data. I need to change one value in one cell.  The file is
password protected and there is no way I can access it.  So I
tried copying the macro into a new macro sheet and saving it with
a .xlm extension.  I open it along with the text file I need
to parse out  and try to run it nothing happens.  Anyone out there
know what's up?  It's probably something simple right?  Any help
would be appreciated.
Thanks, Kevin Doran

Post by SCHMIDT R » Sat, 12 Jun 1993 06:04:07

>I'm wondering if anyone can explain why I can't copy an existing
>macro into a new macro sheet, save it, then execute it.  I had
>a project done in which a macro was developed for me to parse out
>some data. I need to change one value in one cell.  The file is
>password protected and there is no way I can access it.  So I
>tried copying the macro into a new macro sheet and saving it with
>a .xlm extension.  I open it along with the text file I need
>to parse out  and try to run it nothing happens.  Anyone out there
>know what's up?  It's probably something simple right?  Any help
>would be appreciated.
>Thanks, Kevin Doran

Two quick thoughts:  Did you open an new macro sheet to paste the macro
into, or did you paste it into a spreadsheet and try to rename it as
an xlm file?  Also, did you give the macro a name (Formula/Define name)?

Russ Schmidt

Post by A.D.Bai.. » Sat, 12 Jun 1993 19:24:29

>I'm wondering if anyone can explain why I can't copy an existing
>macro into a new macro sheet, save it, then execute it.  I had
>a project done in which a macro was developed for me to parse out
>some data. I need to change one value in one cell.  The file is
>password protected and there is no way I can access it.  So I
>tried copying the macro into a new macro sheet and saving it with
>a .xlm extension.  I open it along with the text file I need
>to parse out  and try to run it nothing happens.  Anyone out there
>know what's up?  It's probably something simple right?  Any help
>would be appreciated.
>Thanks, Kevin Doran

Probably something to do with Names on the original macrosheet.
When you copy/paste you are only copying the cell contents, not the
names and values of all the variables.
Open the original macro, pull down Formula/Define Name and have a look
what's there.  These are what you will have to reproduce in the copy.

I've suffered this inconvenience a few times - anyone suggest a less
work intensive solution? (i.e. how to copy names and values?)

Copying and Running Macros in Excel 4.0 For DOS

Post by D461-David_F_Haertig(Da » Fri, 11 Jun 1993 23:49:03

Quote:

> I'm wondering if anyone can explain why I can't copy an existing
> macro into a new macro sheet, save it, then execute it.  I had
> a project done in which a macro was developed for me to parse out
> some data. I need to change one value in one cell.  The file is
> password protected and there is no way I can access it.  So I
> tried copying the macro into a new macro sheet and saving it with
> a .xlm extension.  I open it along with the text file I need
> to parse out  and try to run it nothing happens.  Anyone out there
> know what's up?  It's probably something simple right?  Any help
> would be appreciated.

After copying the macro to a new sheet, you did go through the procedure
"Formula->Define_Name" and called it a "Command" macro (and optionally
assigned a Hot-Key) didn't you?

You said it must be something simple, and this is about the simplest
thing I could come up with.

Dave Haertig

Post by <AT.. » Wed, 16 Jun 1993 23:59:15

I've suffered this inconvenience a few times - anyone suggest a less
work intensive solution? (i.e. how to copy names and values?)

I usually use Paste Name in the original macro to get a list of
names, and then paste that list into yet another macro which defines
names on the new, target macro sheet.  Clumsy and probably suboptimal
but it works.

Conrad Carlberg

Copying and Running Macros in Excel 4.0 For DOS

Post by Kevin Dor » Sat, 19 Jun 1993 08:29:06

Quote:

> I'm wondering if anyone can explain why I can't copy an existing
>>After copying the macro to a new sheet, you did go through the procedure
>>"Formula->Define_Name" and called it a "Command" macro (and optionally
>>assigned a Hot-Key) didn't you?

I just wanted to thank those who responded to my question.  It was indeed
something simple just as all of you thought it was a simple matter of
using the "Formula->Define_Name" procedure listed above.  You don't have any
idea the help it was.  Thanks again.  Kevin

1. EXCEL 4.0 - Macro Grief - Macro Book Wanted!

I recently started using EXCEL 4.0 and find it's difficult to learn the Macro
Language (Functions). The simple Macros that I regularly used in Lotus for DOS
are not very translatable to my surprise, and I must commence providing the
same level of flexibility to a range of branch offices that are acustomed to
the Shortcut Keys I provided in Lotus.
I have been to a number of book stores trying to find a Step by Step Macro
book for Excel 4.0, but everyone has 5.0 in which is rather useless to me at
the moment.
I would appreciate any suggestions you might have (as a books name), or if you
know someone that has a good Macro book that is willing to part with it at a
reasonable price, let me know.
I would class myself as entering the intermediate stage of using Excel 4.0

Thanks for your time and interest.

Pat

2. Accessing C DLLs using VB

3. OLE code to run word 97 macro from excel 97 macro

4. Need Help Creating ".INF" files

5. Running a Access macro form Excel macro?

6. direct-link cabling question..

7. can arrow add-ins be used in Excel 4.0

8. A JAZ Drive Update

9. COpy protection for Excel Add-ins?

10. Excel: Execute a macro in EXCEL 4.0

11. Converting Excel 4.0 Macros to Excel 5.0

12. Excel v5 macros running on Excel v7