Windows 95 File system locking?

Post by Ted Sold » Fri, 10 Feb 1995 00:28:23

Will WIN95 allow for some sort of file-system/partition locking to
reduce concerns about having a hard-disk in a publicly accessible
machine on the network?

I'd like to be able to have some software in a read-only partition and
have a separate parition for swap.  The swap parition would be the
only writable partition.

The scheme would only be useful if it could not be circumvented by
booting from a floppy disk.

Am I dreaming?

Please respond via e-mail if possible.

Thanks in advance!

-Ted...

Post by Chris Marrio » Sun, 19 Feb 1995 05:51:39

>Will WIN95 allow for some sort of file-system/partition locking to
>reduce concerns about having a hard-disk in a publicly accessible
>machine on the network?

>I'd like to be able to have some software in a read-only partition and
>have a separate parition for swap.  The swap parition would be the
>only writable partition.

>The scheme would only be useful if it could not be circumvented by
>booting from a floppy disk.

>Am I dreaming?

Yes. Windows 95 is not a secure operating system; Windows NT is. If you
want security, run NT with an NTFS file system and you can do what you
desire.

Chris
| Chris Marriott, Warrington, UK      | Author of SkyMap v2 shareware    |

|      For more info, see http://www.winternet.com/~jasc/skymap.html     |
|      Author member of Association of Shareware Professionals (ASP)     |

1. file locking and sharing in Windows 95/NT

Hello:

I have a problem to use _locking() in the Window 95/NT. I have multiple
processes (.exe) to access the same file, I want the first process to use
the _sopen() to open the file as sharing and is granted the reading and
writing permission to the file. I do not want the second process wait for
the first process, at least the second can have the read-only permission, so
I want to give other following processes read-only permission. But
_locking() in the Micrisoft Run-time library fails to do that because the
_locking() lock the a region byes of the file and prevent other processes
from accessing the same region of the file (no read and write). I check with
LockFileEx() W32 function, which indeed will allow other process to read but
it also will not allow the first process that lock the file to write to the
file. I hope to get some help from W32 programming experts.

thanks

bin chen

2. VMS doc site master index

3. beginner question about windows 95 file system !

4. Can several users share a DSL connection and use Internet services at the same time?

5. Page Locking in Windows 95 - Help !

6. Information, Decision and Control 99

7. Turning Scroll-Lock-LED on/off under Windows 95/98/NT

8. philips P5020

9. Locking Memory in Windows 95

10. Key board lock under windows 95

11. Locking out user input in Windows 95

12. Windows 95 freezes, Stackdump on Windows 95 - help debug!