Stack Underflow error on some systems

Post by Naba Barkaka » Thu, 04 Nov 1993 10:41:10

A friend has a Windows program (written in Visual C++) that dies with a
"Stack Underflow" error on some PCs--laptops and 486SXs.

Has anyone seen this type of problem--"works fine on most PCs but fails
with a Stack Underflow error on some systems"?

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks...

-- Naba Barkakati

1. Stack Underflow!!!?? Please help!

I'm having a VERY WEIRD problem that I'm not able to trace.  I'm
hoping that someone, out of the good of their heart, might give any
suggestions they have as to what they think the problem is.

The application:

The main application is a Visual Basic MDI application which serves as
little more than a shell to call two C DLLs.  One DLL is a serial port
driver which receives characters at 19200bps and every 260 characters
processes the data received.  The other DLL is simply a graphics drivers
which is little more than a few bitblt's and Textouts which graphs the
data recieved about twice a second.

The problem I'm getting is usually a FLOATING POINT: STACK UNDERFLOW
error.  I've used SoftIce to break on the error and trace back, and
the error is definitely coming from a floating point assembly
instruction.

So far I have failed to trace the problem.  I have checked and
re-checked every array that I have. I could not find anything that
could be corrupting memory, though I feel that this must be the
problem.  My local heap has plenty of space (though since this is a
DLL, an overrun should not affect the stack anyway).  All my global
allocations worked with no error.  There must be something I've
missed. This application is pretty intensive -- every 200ms a lot of
floating point calculations are done within the interrupt service
routine.

I've been doing everything I know how for over a week now, and I have
been unable to turn up anything.  I'm beginning to think this is a bug
in Windows.

Questions:

Besides memory overwrites with an array, is there any other way to
corrupt memory?

Is there anything that I should be aware of concerning serial port ISR's
that might possible cause this problem?

Are there any other ways to determine if memory corruption is the problem?

No suggestion is too lame, people.  I'm hoping someone else will catch
something I missed.  Thanks for any help in advance.

Gordon

2. Dimension graphics

3. Stack Underflow

4. editing picture in FP2002

5. std::stack underflow checking

6. GCC and MacMinix.

7. Getting a stack trace on a customer's system

8. Why is the price of HP glossy paper obscene?

9. 'STACK OVERFLOW - SYSTEM HALTED' - HELP

10. Unit testing protocol stacks and other system software

11. stack frame error when calling CreateMDIWindow?

12. Fix for stack fault errors in DLLs caused by DCOM Upgrade

13. Stack overflow and OWL error -6 (out of mem)