Windows 95 freezes, Stackdump on Windows 95 - help debug!

Windows 95 freezes, Stackdump on Windows 95 - help debug!

Post by hand » Fri, 11 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
This is stack dump I get on Windows 95 (OSR2.5, OEM B) and the whole machine
freezes.
//=====================================================
Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION
Fault address:  BFF78840 02:00000840 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL

Registers:
EAX:81E00E08
EBX:81DE3000
ECX:00000188
EDX:4A5F3000
ESI:81DF3000
EDI:8E745107
CS:EIP:0157:BFF78840
SS:ESP:015F:00602DF4  EBP:00602DF8
DS:015F  ES:015F  FS:4CB7  GS:0000
Flags:00000203

Call stack:
Address   Frame     Logical addr  Module
BFF78840  00602DF8  0002:00000840 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
BFF798FB  00602E1C  0002:000018FB C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
BFF74568  00602E44  0001:00003568 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
BFF91ED0  00602E58  0002:00019ED0 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL

I did install Soft/Ice and it shows the exact same stack and exception and
basically the GDI freezes.  The network is accessible but the mouse,
keyboard etc are dead.  (With Soft/Ice you can always do CTRL-D).  I am no
windows 95 kernel expert nor am I a Soft/Ice Expert.  I have tried running
Bounds Checker on the code but haven't discovered anything.  No overflows,
no pointer errors etc.  Used Mutek's Bug Trapper but without success, as
when the problem occurs, it is not able to flush the log and if connected
remotely cannot talk to the remote agent.  Purify hasn't revealed anything
too (but that works on NT only).
I have no problems on Windows NT or Windows 2000.  I did install the debug
checked build of Windows NT (SP 6a) hoping that it might show up something.
I do see some messages like
Invalid Menu handle - I understand this
but what is this?
HmgLock: Bad GDI Handle
cj too big for GetObject

I know the stack is toast.  It is a Win32 app, no 16 bit component.
Problems only on 95 and non on Windows NT.  Haven't tried Windows 98 as yet.

ANY IDEAS, POINTERS AS TO HOW TO START TACKLING THIS PROBLEM WILL BE GREATLY
APPRECIATED.

Thanks
Aman

PS: Ideas on how to use Soft/Ice more effectively to nail this ...

Windows 95 freezes, Stackdump on Windows 95 - help debug!

Post by Feng Yua » Fri, 11 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Use SoftICE command proc to figure out the process causing the problem; and
then stack to show
the 'whole' call stack.

Find the last routine from your problem before it goes to system code. Try
to figure out problem there.
Add an exception handling if you can't solve the problem to avoid GPF. Try
to install debug symbols which may help you to understand the routine in
kernel being called, or at least use SoftICE to loaded exported functions
from kernel32.dll.

Feng Y

Windows 95 freezes, Stackdump on Windows 95 - help debug!

Post by hand » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Feng,
That is the whole stack as reported by softice.  Exception handlin blocks
are installed but don't get called.  Please tell me where can I find debug
symbols for the OEM B release.  I have the retail release symbols but not
OEM B symbols.  About SoftICE to load exported functions from kernel32.dll,
can I just point to the dll and ask SoftIce to load functions?
My problem is that this is a code that I have inherited because of this
problem!  Like you pointed out if I could know which was the method that
executed before the system function was called I would be half way there to
solve the problem.
Just curious, if the stack is blown how would the exception unwind and the
exception block be executed?
Thanks
Aman

Quote:> Use SoftICE command proc to figure out the process causing the problem;
and
> then stack to show
> the 'whole' call stack.

> Find the last routine from your problem before it goes to system code. Try
> to figure out problem there.
> Add an exception handling if you can't solve the problem to avoid GPF. Try
> to install debug symbols which may help you to understand the routine in
> kernel being called, or at least use SoftICE to loaded exported functions
> from kernel32.dll.

> Feng Y

Windows 95 freezes, Stackdump on Windows 95 - help debug!

Post by John » Sun, 13 Feb 2000 04:00:00

There is much more info on the stack and it isn't toast.  The de*
stopped walking the stack for one reason or another, but you can walk it
manually yourself.

Just
DD 602E58
DD
repeat

Look for past Base Pointers, Return Addresses's, Arguments, eventually
you'll get back to the APP that made the call into the system and then you
can validate parameters sent to the OS.

John

> Feng,
> That is the whole stack as reported by softice.  Exception handlin blocks
> are installed but don't get called.  Please tell me where can I find debug
> symbols for the OEM B release.  I have the retail release symbols but not
> OEM B symbols.  About SoftICE to load exported functions from
kernel32.dll,
> can I just point to the dll and ask SoftIce to load functions?
> My problem is that this is a code that I have inherited because of this
> problem!  Like you pointed out if I could know which was the method that
> executed before the system function was called I would be half way there
> solve the problem.
> Just curious, if the stack is blown how would the exception unwind and the
> exception block be executed?
> Thanks
> Aman

> > Use SoftICE command proc to figure out the process causing the problem;
> and
> > then stack to show
> > the 'whole' call stack.

> > Find the last routine from your problem before it goes to system code.
Try
> > to figure out problem there.
> > Add an exception handling if you can't solve the problem to avoid GPF.
Try
> > to install debug symbols which may help you to understand the routine in
> > kernel being called, or at least use SoftICE to loaded exported
functions
> > from kernel32.dll.

> > Feng Y

1. Help Decipher Stackdump - Windows 95

Hi!
We have a product with a unique problem.  Works well on NT but on 95 will
randomly hang the system.  I put in code to print out the exception stack
and I got this result, but the unhandled exception never showed up.  Can any
of the gurus help me figure out this stack dump.  Any help would really be
appreciated.  This on Windows 95 OEM version B

Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION
Fault address:  BFF78840 02:00000840 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL

Registers:
EAX:81E0C31C
EBX:81DF5000
ECX:16C00000
EDX:81E05000
ESI:81E05000
EDI:7CCA692F
CS:EIP:0157:BFF78840
SS:ESP:015F:0063EC48  EBP:0063EC4C
DS:015F  ES:015F  FS:6957  GS:0000
Flags:00010A97

Call stack:
Address   Frame     Logical addr  Module
BFF78840  0063EC4C  0002:00000840 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
BFF798FB  0063EC70  0002:000018FB C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
BFF74568  0063EC98  0001:00003568 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
BFF91ED0  0063ECAC  0002:00019ED0 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL

2. Firmware and the Lower Rom (CPC)

3. Windows 95 B, Setup Wizard Issues Setup.EXE on Windows 95 A

4. Quirky QNX 2.21 - lack of video

5. CWebBrowser thread debug results (Windows 95 vs Windows NT)

6. ANN: New freeware AscToHTM and AscToTab available for VMS users

7. Physical Disk IO under Windows 95/95 (Please Help)

8. Telephone interface

9. Window 95 Hangs, Freezes, Stops reposponding

10. WIN 95 RPC WMSG Window (not responding) Error Message and System Freezes

11. Windows 95 hangs, freezes

12. Help: Windows 95 Shortcuts from 16-bit Windows program possible?