Debugging VC 1.5 (16bit) app under Win95

Debugging VC 1.5 (16bit) app under Win95

Post by Casey Chamberla » Thu, 11 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I am trying to debug a 16bit application under Windows 95 but I can't
get the "TRACE()" and "afxDump << " commands to display anything
(anywhere).

I have done some debugging under the debug version of Win3.1 using
DebugWin.exe to display the debug output.

Is it possible to view debug output for VC 1.5 apps under Win95?

I actually have a problem with the debug version of windows 3.1, in
that when windows starts I get a "Cannot write to AUX port" error
dialog.  I know that the AUX port is used to output debug info,
but have I forgot to do something?

Thanks...
        case.

 it could be worse?

Post by Mark Willia » Fri, 12 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>I am trying to debug a 16bit application under Windows 95 but I can't
>get the "TRACE()" and "afxDump << " commands to display anything
>(anywhere).

Have you enabled output with tracer?

Quote:>Is it possible to view debug output for VC 1.5 apps under Win95?

Yes.

Quote:>I actually have a problem with the debug version of windows 3.1, in
>that when windows starts I get a "Cannot write to AUX port" error
>dialog.  I know that the AUX port is used to output debug info,
>but have I forgot to do something?

Have you remembered to add the following to your system.ini file :-

  [Debug]
  OutputTo=NUL

Otherwise all debug output will be written to an output port which may
not be connected to anything.

MSVC output window should then receive all the debug output.

Hope this helps,

--
| Mark Williams, Tech OP Ltd  | 268 London Road   |   Tel: +1242 570999 |
| Principal Engineer          | Cheltenham, Glos  |   Fax: +1242 222281 |

| http://www.glosibp.co.uk/offices/floor1/techop/index.htm              |

Debugging VC 1.5 (16bit) app under Win95

Post by Jive Dads » Sat, 13 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Howdy gurus. I'm new to ms-windows programming, and I am having a
a problem. Hope someone can help.

I've got a third-party software package (Codebase 6.0) that comes
with a dll and a static library, both of which must be used to
link the simple console application I am trying to build just
to get started. I also need to link in the MFC library. I'm using
MS C++ 4.0 Developer Studio. When I linked with the .dll and .lib that
came on the Codebase CD, I got a warning message about conflicts with
LIBC. It said it conflicted with a "default" library.

I then rebuilt both the .dll and .lib files specifying
debug-threaded-dll as the runtime library. The complaint about LIBC
went away, but now I get a linker message saying I have a conflict with
the default MSVCRT library.

   LINK : warning LNK4098: defaultlib "MSVCRT" conflicts with use of
   other libs; use /NODEFAULTLIB:library
   CodeBase.exe - 0 error(s), 1 warning(s)

Of course, I've never heard of MSVCRT. Not a clue. I found a switch in
the projects/settings window for turning off default libraries, but
when I try it, all the LIBC functions (fprintf, etc) come up undefined.

Questions:
1. What do I do to clear that warning?
2. If I don't clear the warning, what bad thing can happen?
3. Is it necessary to have both debug and release versions of dll's,
and if so, how do you switch between them? The only way I have found
to get the thing to find a dll is to modify the path in AUTOEXEC.BAT
and reboot. But that way it will always find the same dll. There
must be a better way.

Please send me an email copy if you respond.

                Thanks,
                Jive

1. Win95 & VC++1.5 Debug Kernel ?

     I am trying to debug my VC++ code on our Win95 beta & am
     wondering if there is an equivalent to the  3.1 debug kernel ...
     [i didn't install the beta and the online help doesn't turn much
         up for "debug" or for "kernel"]

     C++ya,
       Tom

--

End of local signature.

2. Whats the longest your Psion 5 has lived w/o a hardware failure

3. VC++ 1.5: Debug <==> Release mode

4. Looking for e-mail address

5. Exporting NT user accounts

6. Can to Call a 16 BIt DLL VC 1.5 from a 32 bit app

7. Cant set network card IPs in UNATTEND setup file

8. Launching an app from within VC++ 1.5

9. Can not call a 16-bit (VC 1.5) from a 32 Bit app

10. VC++ 1.5 versus VC++ 1.0

11. How to upgrade VC++ 1.0 to VC++ 1.5?