Help with named pipe reconnect losing TX of the pipe, RX still works

Help with named pipe reconnect losing TX of the pipe, RX still works

Post by Brad Pane » Wed, 29 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I'm having an unusual problem with named pipe, on an NT 4.0 system.  I
force an error by closing an restarting the server end.  The client
detects this and will attempt to connect to the named pipe (the original
name).  This product needs to be automatically reconnect.

The outcome is that I can perform a Writefile to the pipe from the
Client side, but can no longer Readfile on the same pipe on the Client
side. (Although I know that there should be data there)

Has anyone else seen this problem?  I tried searching Deja.News, and
Microsoft Knowledge Base.

I may implement two pipes ... one RX one TX, but would prefer to have it
work on the single pipe.

Thanks for any Help.

Help with named pipe reconnect losing TX of the pipe, RX still works

Post by Slava M. Uso » Thu, 30 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm having an unusual problem with named pipe, on an NT 4.0 system.  I
> force an error by closing an restarting the server end.  The client
> detects this and will attempt to connect to the named pipe (the original
> name).  This product needs to be automatically reconnect.

> The outcome is that I can perform a Writefile to the pipe from the
> Client side, but can no longer Readfile on the same pipe on the Client
> side. (Although I know that there should be data there)

When the pipe is closed by the server, and the client detects that, it calls
CreateFile() to open the pipe again, correct? Is this call successful? What
is the error code if not? Then, if it's successful, but it "can no longer
Readfile", what exactly is happening? The call hangs forever? Or it fails?
With which error code?

--

Slava

Please send any replies to this newsgroup.

1. named pipe server using completion routines doesn't work correctly

I'm using Named Pipe Server Using Completion Routines in a
single dll in additional thread. Everything as in MSDN.
I have a program that loads and unloads dll with this pipe
server and starts(kills) it. And there is external program
that communicates through named pipes.
Everything fork when the pipe server is started for the
first time.
But then I close all handles,event and simply exit this
thread and start it again it just hangs on
dwWait = WaitForSingleObjectEx(hConnectEvent,INFINITE,TRUE);
And that's all. I can't do anything. I've tryed to create
events with different names for each start of the thread
but it useless.

Can anyone help with this case?

2. date not showing in TS

3. Named pipe server don't work using overlapped io

4. MSN Server wanted

5. named pipe client works in dll, but no when wrapped in ActiveX

6. EEU2 conflicts with Avantgo?

7. Named pipe works on WinXP but not on Win2K?

8. named pipe clien works in dll but not wrapped in ocx

9. Named pipe client not working on Windows 98/95

10. Named pipe not working on Windows 98/95

11. named pipe code works under NT4.0 but not Win2k or XP....

12. Named Pipe Client works but Server does not