Visual Basic applications migrated from Windows 95 to Windows NT 4.0

Visual Basic applications migrated from Windows 95 to Windows NT 4.0

Post by Peter Tr » Wed, 22 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Recently I've upgraded my PC from Windows 95 to NT 4.0.  Now I can't
run my applications which were developed in Visual Basic 4.0
Enterprise, I'd get an error message "Cannot find project or library "
for functions such as RTRIM()...
How can I set up proper libraries for applications were developed in
windows 95.

Please help...

1. Windows NT 4.0 Terminal Server and Visual Basic Application Latency Issues

My company has a problem. An application we paid to have developed was
written
in Visual Basic 6.0 for deployment on a Windows NT Terminal Server.
As some of you may know Microsoft does not support Visual Basic 6 on
WINNT 4.0 Terminal Server.

The application went through testing as a "Thick Client" so the
testers missed the latency issues until it was too late. Here is what
I know, hopefully one of you bright coders out there can help me out.

The application communicates with a database using DCE and utilizes
MSFlexgrids and virtually every other standard control. The
application itself functions properly, no crashes or errors. The
problem is responsiveness; the application takes an extreme amount of
time to process information, far more than it does as a "Thick
Client".

The application queries the database quickly, pulls back the required
information then while parsing the information locally (iterating
through each line of data) the application slows to a crawl. Each
database entry can take as much as 1 second to be parsed where the
thick client processes hundreds within a second. On the server side we
see that the application is using approx 50% of a dual Pentium Zeon
700Mhz box for a single instance of the application and most of this
processor utilization is "Privileged" where in the Thick Client mode
it runs as a normal user process.

I don't have direct access to the code itself (or I would have posted
the problematic parts), but I'm hoping someone has ran into a similar
situation or perhaps knows of some "feature" of 4.0 Terminal server
that would cause this type of delay.

Thank you all for your time,

Andrew Stepleton

2. HELP: How to find out who is logged-on to LAN

3. How to create windows larger than the size of Desktop in Windows 95 or NT 4.0?

4. fonts for embedded system

5. Connecting Windows 95 and Windows Workstation NT 4.0

6. Beeping modem...?

7. Window NT and Visual Basic 4.0 16 bit.

8. Custom Macintosh Development

9. Printing: migrating from NT 4.0 to Windows 2000

10. Installing Visual Basic 6 app on Windows 95 machine.

11. Why does Windows NT 4.0 rasterize fonts differently than 3.1 or 95?

12. Changing COMM properties using a TAPI Handle in Windows 95 and NT 4.0

13. Accessing COM ports using Win32's and/or MSCOMM control in Windows 95/NT 4.0.