weird Word 6 -> Word 7 .WLL migration problem (window subclass)

weird Word 6 -> Word 7 .WLL migration problem (window subclass)

Post by Judy Labovit » Mon, 28 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hi all.  I'm migrating a .WLL built for Word 6 and Windows 3.1 to work
under Windows 95 and Word 7 (aka Word 95).  In the startup code for this
.WLL, I subclass the main Word window using a SetWindowLong with
GWL_WNDPROC.  When I do this with Word 7, everything works like a champ
until I do something in Word that causes a dialog box to pop up.  Very
shortly after the dialog box appears, Word crashes with a page fault.
Here's the weird part:  if I have something like Spy running before I
perform that action that causes the dialog box to appear, everything
works
fine and dandy.  Also, Spy does NOT have to be running before I start
Word.
Everything still works fine if I start Word thereby performing the
subclass
and then start Spy before the dialog appears.

Environment-wise, the original .WLL was compiled 16-bit using VC++ 1.52
under Windows for Workgroups 3.11 and the new Word 7 stuff is compiled
32-bit using VC++ 4.0 under Windows 95.

Anybody got any ideas?  I'm stumped.

       I neigh, therefore I am (not).    ---- Rene Descarte's horse