Beginner needs good books

Post by Dan Mencha » Thu, 12 May 1994 11:22:29

Hello, everyone.

Hey, I'm looking for some good books to take me through the Windows API in
the C programming language.  I'm somewhat familiar by looking at source,
but some good books taking me through the general API would be great.  Can
anyone out there recomend any material?

Beginner needs good books

Post by John Gra » Fri, 13 May 1994 07:20:52

Quote:>Hello, everyone.

>Hey, I'm looking for some good books to take me through the Windows API in
>the C programming language.  I'm somewhat familiar by looking at source,
>but some good books taking me through the general API would be great.  Can
>anyone out there recomend any material?

        9 out of 10 folks will certainly recommend "Programming Windows 3.1"
        by Charles Petzold (Microsoft Press).  As far as I am concerned,
        this is the single best book and best value, because it doesn't
        waste 1000 pages regurgitating reference material on messages,
        functions etc that you already have in your on-line help (provided
        with your compiler).  Petzold explains HOW and WHY and the
        consequences of doing something, i.e. information that seems
        to be lacking in many of the beginners who are using OWL/MFC.

Airborne Geophysics
Geological Survey of Canada, Ottawa

--

Airborne Geophysics
Geological Survey of Canada, Ottawa

Beginner needs good books

Post by Chris Marrio » Fri, 13 May 1994 07:17:17

Quote:>Hello, everyone.

>Hey, I'm looking for some good books to take me through the Windows API in
>the C programming language.  I'm somewhat familiar by looking at source,
>but some good books taking me through the general API would be great.  Can
>anyone out there recomend any material?

The "bible" of Windows programming is generally regarded as the book
"Programming Windows 3.1" by Charles Petzold, published by Microsoft Press.
Some parts are now a little dated, but it's probably still the best all-round
book.

Chris
| Chris Marriott, Warrington, UK      | Author of SkyMap v2 shareware    |

| CompuServe: 100113,1140             | Mail me for details!             |
|      Author member of Association of Shareware Professionals (ASP)     |
|       Windows, C/C++ consultancy undertaken, anywhere in the world.    |