DOS program to run Windows program from a DOS shell

DOS program to run Windows program from a DOS shell

Post by Eric A. Raymo » Sun, 02 Jan 1994 08:27:10

I'm sure this is a FAQ, but is there a mechanism to allow a windows
program to be started from a Dos shell?  I'm sure this is a FAQ.  I
ran into something called WRUN, but that only seems to work if you
have a another (large) program running under windows

I have a Windows program which I'd like to have run from a Makefile.
Unfortunately the program uses a lib which requires a Windows executable.

Post by Jerome Schneid » Fri, 07 Jan 1994 12:43:05

> I'm sure this is a FAQ, but is there a mechanism to allow a windows
> program to be started from a Dos shell?  I'm sure this is a FAQ.  I
> ran into something called WRUN, but that only seems to work if you
> have a another (large) program running under windows

> I have a Windows program which I'd like to have run from a Makefile.
> Unfortunately the program uses a lib which requires a Windows executable.

This comes up occasionally, so here's one solution.  But, you need to have
the MSC 7.x compiler tools.  Since C7 needs to run various windows apps from
the PWB (a dos program), they supplied three programs that accomplish the
task.  You need to get these files from the C7 distribution:

   WXSRVR.EXE,  WX.EXE, and VMB.386

Put VMB.386 in the systems dir, and add a line to the system.ini [386enh]
section like "device=vmb.386".  Then, put WXSRVR.EXE in your windows
startup group.  Put WX.EXE somewhere on your dos PATH so commands can find
it.  You can find out the WX options by running wx with /? parameter.

To launch a windows program from a dos box, use something like:

  WX /n /a /w winhelp

which will run the windows help program.  I use MKS toolkit or DOSKEY to
set up some aliases so I can just type windows commands and have them
run.  For example, some mks aliases are:

  winhelp="wx /n /a /w winhelp"
  winword="wx /n /a /w winword"
  qpw="wx /n /a /w c:/qpw/qpw.exe"
  notepad="wx /n /a /w notepad"
  write="wx /n /a /w write"

Similar doskey macros can be written.

WXSRVR seems to launch Freecell (a win32s program) as well, so it does give
a general purpose launch vehicle.  I still use the WX* stuff under MSVC++,
so it appears they haven't trashed the capability.  I understand that Chicago
will work like NT, allowing you to launch any type of program from the DOS
command line.

--

Aspen Technology Group               UUCP:   {uunet}!csn!atglab!jls
PO Box 673, Ft. Collins, CO 80522    Voice:  (303) 484-1488

Splitting up a newsgroup is like gun control -- many people hope it will
solve problems, even when the empirical data clearly shows otherwise.

Post by Lennart Borgm » Sun, 09 Jan 1994 06:19:56

>> I have a Windows program which I'd like to have run from a Makefile.
>> Unfortunately the program uses a lib which requires a Windows executable.

>This comes up occasionally, so here's one solution.  But, you need to have
>the MSC 7.x compiler tools.  Since C7 needs to run various windows apps from
>the PWB (a dos program), they supplied three programs that accomplish the
>task.  You need to get these files from the C7 distribution:

>   WXSRVR.EXE,  WX.EXE, and VMB.386

>Put VMB.386 in the systems dir, and add a line to the system.ini [386enh]
>section like "device=vmb.386".  Then, put WXSRVR.EXE in your windows
>startup group.  Put WX.EXE somewhere on your dos PATH so commands can find
>it.  You can find out the WX options by running wx with /? parameter.

>To launch a windows program from a dos box, use something like:

>  WX /n /a /w winhelp

This is great, I was planning to write something like it. (But it would
have taken me some time, I would have had to learn.) I just see one
problem for myself: I just deleted C7 and installed Visual C++ instead.
It does not have these files.

Do I have to reinstall C7 on some machine just to get my hand on these
files? (If I can find the floppies again...) Would it be to much if
MicroSoft put them out somewhere (ftp.microsoft.com for example)? Just
for use while we are waiting for chicago?

Or is there any other solution to the problem?

Lennart Borgman, Astra Draco AB, Box 34, S-221 00 Lund, SWEDEN

Post by Stuart 'TheCube' Herbe » Tue, 11 Jan 1994 00:19:03

: This is great, I was planning to write something like it. (But it would
: have taken me some time, I would have had to learn.) I just see one
: problem for myself: I just deleted C7 and installed Visual C++ instead.
: It does not have these files.

: Do I have to reinstall C7 on some machine just to get my hand on these
: files? (If I can find the floppies again...) Would it be to much if
: MicroSoft put them out somewhere (ftp.microsoft.com for example)? Just
: for use while we are waiting for chicago?

: Or is there any other solution to the problem?

: --------------------------------------------------------------
: Lennart Borgman, Astra Draco AB, Box 34, S-221 00 Lund, SWEDEN

PC Magazine published a program called 'WinStart', which should be available
on cica, which will happily sit there, and run a Windows program inside a
DOS box, just like with NT.

Stuart

DOS program to run Windows program from a DOS shell

Post by Lennart Borgm » Tue, 11 Jan 1994 07:07:56

Quote:>   (lines deleted...)
>PC Magazine published a program called 'WinStart', which should be available
>on cica, which will happily sit there, and run a Windows program inside a
>DOS box, just like with NT.

>Stuart

thank you very much. (I could not mail and thank you, there seems to be
something wroing with your mail address.)

Lennart Borgman, Astra Draco AB, Box 34, S-221 00 Lund, SWEDEN

DOS program to run Windows program from a DOS shell

Post by Lennart Borgm » Wed, 12 Jan 1994 02:50:28

Quote:>PC Magazine published a program called 'WinStart', which should be available
>on cica, which will happily sit there, and run a Windows program inside a
>DOS box, just like with NT.

>Stuart

Are the sources anywhere on the net? (There is nothing said about this
in the FAQ - or I could not find it...)

Post by Phillip Coop » Sat, 15 Jan 1994 06:16:58

>>> I have a Windows program which I'd like to have run from a Makefile.
>>> Unfortunately the program uses a lib which requires a Windows executable.

>>This comes up occasionally, so here's one solution.  But, you need to have
>>the MSC 7.x compiler tools.  Since C7 needs to run various windows apps from
>>the PWB (a dos program), they supplied three programs that accomplish the
>>task.  You need to get these files from the C7 distribution:

>>   WXSRVR.EXE,  WX.EXE, and VMB.386

>>Put VMB.386 in the systems dir, and add a line to the system.ini [386enh]
>>section like "device=vmb.386".  Then, put WXSRVR.EXE in your windows
>>startup group.  Put WX.EXE somewhere on your dos PATH so commands can find
>>it.  You can find out the WX options by running wx with /? parameter.

>>To launch a windows program from a dos box, use something like:

>>  WX /n /a /w winhelp

>This is great, I was planning to write something like it. (But it would
>have taken me some time, I would have had to learn.) I just see one
>problem for myself: I just deleted C7 and installed Visual C++ instead.
>It does not have these files.

>Do I have to reinstall C7 on some machine just to get my hand on these
>files? (If I can find the floppies again...) Would it be to much if
>MicroSoft put them out somewhere (ftp.microsoft.com for example)? Just
>for use while we are waiting for chicago?

>Or is there any other solution to the problem?

These files are not freely redistributable, so they can't be placed on
ftp.microsoft.com.  Sorry!

Phil
Phillip Cooper                 Microsoft Developer Support Services
These opinions are mine alone.  I am *not* speaking for Microsoft.

Post by Stuart 'TheCube' Herbe » Sun, 16 Jan 1994 08:17:38

: >PC Magazine published a program called 'WinStart', which should be available
: >on cica, which will happily sit there, and run a Windows program inside a
: >DOS box, just like with NT.
: >
: >Stuart

: Are the sources anywhere on the net? (There is nothing said about this
: in the FAQ - or I could not find it...)

The source code should be included in the .zip file - if not, I guess contact
PC-Magazine for the relevant back issue.

As for a FAQ, I've never seen one for this newsgroup.  I think I've seen some
noise about there being one, which is supposed to be regularly reposted, but
not seen one.  If there isn't one, might be an idea for someone to start one.

Stuart

1. Running graphical dos program under dos shell window

I had a program which is written in Pascal that is running in Graphics mode
using the egavga (egavga.bgi) mode. I am trying to run this program under
Windows 95 Dos Prompt Shell in "window" form, which mean that the program is
not running in full screen. This enable me to switch between windows by
using the mouse and monitoring other program while the DOS program is
running.

(My DOS program is running in vga 256 colour 640x480 mode while my windows
setting is 800x600 16.8 million colour mode.)
But when I try to do that, Dos shell reported that the appplcation must
running in full screen mode. I am required to run the program in shell
windows. Is there any way to do that ?

Regards.

2. port 80

3. how to run a DOS program without DOS window

4. WINS across a Linux router w/ samba doesn't work

5. How to write a WIndows shell program for Legacy DOS command line program?

6. Identifying File Extensions

7. Problem redirecting stderr of DOS program run from Windows 95 program

8. Compact scanning solution for laptop?

9. Running a dos program from Windows program.

10. Question: Running Dos Program from Windows Program

11. How do I run a DOS program without a DOS Box????

12. Running DOS programs from Win and Win from DOS

13. Destroy DOS Shell under windows via API programming