win.ini and others

Post by Ernie Harr » Sun, 05 Dec 1993 03:13:00

I wasn't really sure were to post this so I'll try here first.
I have a Novell network supporting roughly 40 workstations which have
all migrated to the windows os.  For performance reasons, I have installed
the actual os on each workstation and all the applications of the
network.

My question is: what would be the best way to make changes to the various
.ini files at one time?  What I want to do is be able to do things like
this:

        IfLastUpdate == 110193{

                OpenFile WIN.INI
                FindLine("IconSpacing=")
                ReplaceWith("IconSpacing=100")
        }

note: my pseudo-code sucks but I hope you get the idea.

Any suggestions???

Ernie
MicroLAN Management

--
-----

"Which key is the 'any' key?"

win.ini and others

Post by Ron Klatch » Sun, 05 Dec 1993 08:42:42

: My question is: what would be the best way to make changes to the various
: .ini files at one time?  What I want to do is be able to do things like
: this:

Assuming the INI files are all on the individual workstation, you
are SOL unless you get some utility in which you can access files
from a remote workstation.

But, once you have access to the files, you can just use
SetPrivateProfileString() to modify any line.

moo
Ron Klatchko                |  No pain, no gain.

(510) 652-7064 x283         |

1. win.ini and sys.ini

There are loads of commands that can be added to either the win.ini or the
sys.ini that allow you to configure windows, but appear to be unavailable
from within windows any other way.

E.g.

ForceLazyOn=CD

which speeds up disk access for Stacker 4.0 (as recommended in the tech notes)

My question is, is there a comprehensive list of these 'hidden' commands
available anywhere - either on the net as a text document, or in a book
somewhere??

TIA
Andrew

2. FS: Almost bare IPC $375 including shipping

3. How to use myfile.ini instead od win.ini ?

4. How to read MAC mails under Unix?

5. Can't Access [SOUNDS] in Win 95 Win.ini

6. Windows XP versus 98, programming in C++

7. Modifying win.ini and autoexec.bat

8. CWPro C++ compile errors... how to find?

9. Need help with MouseThreshold in WIN.INI

10. Associations from win.ini

11. How do I install my program and win.ini extensions?

12. printer change and win.ini

13. Getting printer driver to re-read win.ini