0xC0000044 exception

0xC0000044 exception

Post by Larry Waibe » Tue, 25 Aug 1998 04:00:00



After our NT application has run for several days, the system dies with a
0xC0000044 unknown exception.  Any one know what this is?  Where can I find
these exceptions described?  The VC++ 5.0 help says that the layout is
described in winerror.h but the errors there don't seem to correspond to
exceptions.  Thanks!

  Using Virtual Access
  4.01 build 232 (32-bit) WinNT build 1381
  http://www.ashmount.com/va

 
 
 

0xC0000044 exception

Post by Chris Rin » Tue, 25 Aug 1998 04:00:00


From NT DDK's ntstatus.h:

//
// MessageId: STATUS_QUOTA_EXCEEDED
//
// MessageText:
//
//  Insufficient quota exists to complete the operation
//
#define STATUS_QUOTA_EXCEEDED            ((NTSTATUS)0xC0000044L)

Chris Ring
Software Engineer
Dialogic Santa Barbara Labs
http://www.dialogic.com


Quote:>After our NT application has run for several days, the system dies with a
>0xC0000044 unknown exception.  Any one know what this is?  Where can I find
>these exceptions described?  The VC++ 5.0 help says that the layout is
>described in winerror.h but the errors there don't seem to correspond to
>exceptions.  Thanks!

>  Using Virtual Access
>  4.01 build 232 (32-bit) WinNT build 1381
>  http://www.ashmount.com/va


 
 
 

0xC0000044 exception

Post by Raymond Ch » Tue, 25 Aug 1998 04:00:00


ntstatus.h

//
// MessageId: STATUS_QUOTA_EXCEEDED
//
// MessageText:
//
//  Insufficient quota exists to complete the operation
//
#define STATUS_QUOTA_EXCEEDED            ((NTSTATUS)0xC0000044L)

My guess is that your program has a memory leak, which caused it
to exceed its memory quota.
--
(My return address is intentionally invalid to foil spammers.  Delete the
".---" to get my real address.  I do this on my own time with my own money;
my responses are not to be considered official technical support or advice.)

 
 
 

0xC0000044 exception

Post by Larry Waibe » Tue, 25 Aug 1998 04:00:00


Ah, 'ntstatus.h'.  Of course, the next question is where to find that file.  
I don't have it on the VC++ 5.0 CD; where should I look?  Thanks!

  Using Virtual Access
  4.01 build 232 (32-bit) WinNT build 1381
  http://www.ashmount.com/va

 
 
 

0xC0000044 exception

Post by Randy Jame » Tue, 25 Aug 1998 04:00:00


In the NT Device Driver Kit...   DDK

>Ah, 'ntstatus.h'.  Of course, the next question is where to find that file.
>I don't have it on the VC++ 5.0 CD; where should I look?  Thanks!

>  Using Virtual Access
>  4.01 build 232 (32-bit) WinNT build 1381
>  http://www.ashmount.com/va

 
 
 

0xC0000044 exception

Post by Larry Waibe » Tue, 25 Aug 1998 04:00:00




Quote:> In the NT Device Driver Kit...   DDK

Oh, there's the rub.  We don't have the DDK and the Universal MSDN
subscription doesn't seem to have the DDK disks <sigh>.  I wonder if there's
anywhere else I could get just that ntstatus.h file?

  Using Virtual Access
  4.01 build 232 (32-bit) WinNT build 1381
  http://www.ashmount.com/va

 
 
 

0xC0000044 exception

Post by Felix Kasza [MV » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00


Larry,

 > We don't have the DDK and the Universal MSDN
 > subscription doesn't seem to have the DDK disks <sigh>.

It most certainly does -- look for the ugly violet CDs. Or call up the
MSDN folks and say you want to opt in on the DDK pack.

--

Cheers,

Felix.

If you post a reply, kindly refrain from emailing it, too.

No anti-spam address here. Just one comment: IN YOUR FACE!

 
 
 

0xC0000044 exception

Post by Rob Gibso » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00


Any luck finding ntstatus.h?  I am also trying to find this file. I am
trying to diagnose a server blue screen stop error NT BugCheck Data = 7ah
(c030001ch c0000010h c0007000h 1ade6884h). I found a reference to look at
ntstatus.h at http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q130/8/01.asp

The DDK may be available for download but I do not have the subscription
necessary to get to the MSDN download area. It really bothers me that I

error message.

I have found reference to the DDK ar
http://msdn.microsoft.com/developer/services/subscription/index/apr98...
k.htm
It is so not funny that NT 4 material is referenced as "archival or legacy"
on http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/ddk/default.htm. Leaping lizards, what
production operating system do some of the people at Microsoft think they
are currently shipping,  NT 5 ?!?


>Ah, 'ntstatus.h'.  Of course, the next question is where to find that file.
>I don't have it on the VC++ 5.0 CD; where should I look?  Thanks!

>  Using Virtual Access
>  4.01 build 232 (32-bit) WinNT build 1381
>  http://www.ashmount.com/va

 
 
 

0xC0000044 exception

Post by Virgil Smi » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00


Quote:>It is so not funny that NT 4 material is referenced as "archival or legacy"
>on http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/ddk/default.htm. Leaping lizards, what
>production operating system do some of the people at Microsoft think they
>are currently shipping,  NT 5 ?!?

A. Your right NTSTATUS.H should be publicly available so that people
like you can have some hope of understanding what went wrong.
However. this would probably actually help in very few instances
because its just going to tell you STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER or
STATUS_INSUFFICIENT_RESOURCES or something similar and to have
contextual information about how to interpret that you have to have
access to the code that generated it (and if you had access to that
you should also have access to the DDK).

B.  Have some sense of context.  Of course
http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/ddk/default.htm refers to NT4 drivers
as "legacy".  http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/ddk/default.htm is a page
for the WDM DDK.  Which means YES THEY ARE REFFERING TO NT5 AND MORE
IMPORTANTLY AT THE MOMENT THEY ARE REFFERING TO WIN98 WHICH THEY ARE
CURRENTLY SHIPPING.

Well that probably didn't merit "shouting', but I'm so happy to see
the latest DDK publicly available that I take a little offense at
seeing anyone slam it (or even bat it with a feather).

 
 
 

0xC0000044 exception

Post by Chris Rin » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00


Haven't verified it, but
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q130/8/01.asp
claims that ntstatus.h is in the Win32 SDK.

However, based on their history of documentation, and the fact that you're
the second person who's asked for it, I'm not sure I believe it.

Chris Ring
Software Engineer
Dialogic Santa Barbara Labs
http://www.dialogic.com


Quote:>Any luck finding ntstatus.h?  I am also trying to find this file. I am
>trying to diagnose a server blue screen stop error NT BugCheck Data = 7ah
>(c030001ch c0000010h c0007000h 1ade6884h). I found a reference to look at
>ntstatus.h at

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q130/8/01.asp

>The DDK may be available for download but I do not have the subscription
>necessary to get to the MSDN download area. It really bothers me that I

>error message.

>I have found reference to the DDK ar
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/developer/services/subscription/index/apr98...
d
>k.htm
>It is so not funny that NT 4 material is referenced as "archival or legacy"
>on http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/ddk/default.htm. Leaping lizards, what
>production operating system do some of the people at Microsoft think they
>are currently shipping,  NT 5 ?!?


>>Ah, 'ntstatus.h'.  Of course, the next question is where to find that
file.
>>I don't have it on the VC++ 5.0 CD; where should I look?  Thanks!

>>  Using Virtual Access
>>  4.01 build 232 (32-bit) WinNT build 1381
>>  http://www.ashmount.com/va

 
 
 

0xC0000044 exception

Post by William DePalo [MVP » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00



>Oh, there's the rub.  We don't have the DDK and the Universal MSDN
>subscription doesn't seem to have the DDK disks <sigh>.  I wonder if
there's
>anywhere else I could get just that ntstatus.h file?

Just in case you don't find the ugly CDs that Felix mentioned, you can call
MS. As far as I know with the Universal subscription you can get the DDK and
the bazillion international discs, but you have to ask for them, at least in
the US.

Regards,
Will

 
 
 

0xC0000044 exception

Post by Matt Gallan » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00


Rob,

You may already be aware of the information I have to pass along, but here it is just in case.  I have a book on my shelf about NT device drivers... it has a neat Appendix which dissects the different BugCheck codes.  Here's what it says for 7A:

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

Cause:  A page of kernel-mode data couldn't be read because of a bad block in the paging file or a disk controller error.

Meaning of the 4 parameters:

#1   -  Lock type that was held:
    a) Value 1, 2, 3 (not sure what those 3 values would represent), or
    b) PTE address

#2    - Error Status:  (unfortunately, it doesn't list the one you have reported, just the ones form the technote:
    C000009C or C000016A:    bad block
    C0000185: SCSI cable or termination problem
    C000009A:  insufficient non-paged pool

#3    - Current process:  (possible pointer to the internal kernel process object?)

#4    - Virtual Address that could not be read

--
------------------------------------------------------------------
Matt Gallant
Aylmer, Ontario Canada

To "meet" me, check out my homepage: http://www.kanservu.ca/~gallantm.
ICQ# 203586
------------------------------------------------------------------


>Any luck finding ntstatus.h?  I am also trying to find this file. I am
>trying to diagnose a server blue screen stop error NT BugCheck Data = 7ah
>(c030001ch c0000010h c0007000h 1ade6884h). I found a reference to look at
>ntstatus.h at http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q130/8/01.asp

 
 
 

1. Mysterious FPU exceptions (exception 10H)...

Hello.

We have written a fairly simple MFC Windows app that is, on one machine,
giving us an FPU exception (exception 10H) on an FMUL instruction in our
code.

It appears that the FPU control register mask bits are cleared (thus
enabling exceptions) by the time I get to CWinApp::InitInstance( ).  On all
other machines I've tested on, the mask bits are all set and everything
works fine.

A little info:
Our app is a unicode app.
We are running on Win98 SE.
We use unicows.dll for Win9x unicode compatibllity.
The processor is an ancient Pentium 133.
We are using the statically linked C++ and MFC runtime libraries.
The FPU control freg is initialized incorrectly in the following callstack:
__fpmath( ) -> _setdefaultprecision( ) -> __controlfp( ) ->
__control87( ) -> FNSTCW,__fpreset+n( ),FLDCW (__fpreset( ) seems to do some
massaging of the control reg bits between the FNSTCW & FLDCW).
If I do a _control87( _MCW_EM, _MCW_EM ) in CWinApp::InitInstance( ) to
disable FPU exceptions, the problem goes away.

Do you have any idea who is unmasking the FPU exceptions?
Does the C++ or MFC init code do this anywhere?
Does the OS ummask the FPU exceptions for some reason when creating the new
process?
Could the FDIV pentium bug have anything to do with it?
Is the FPU control register accessed directly or is there a VxD layer that
intercepts accesses to the control reg that may be causing the problem?

Thank you
Scott Wild
PASCO scientific

2. Kurta Digitizer

3. C++ exception overhead vs. C style exceptions...

4. Partitioning 2.1 GB IDE drive

5. Throwing exceptions in dtors called by thrown exceptions

6. ISDN digital-overlay network

7. exception when processing and exception, all destructors called?

8. Could someone repost the original press release?

9. Exception gurus - Copy constructors of exceptions

10. Standard Exceptions library & Third-party library exceptions

11. Exception Objects Throwing Exceptions.

12. Exceptions during stack unwinding (was: Exceptions in constructors)

13. Exception safety with exceptions handling