Key board lock under windows 95

Post by Raymond Chen [M » Mon, 13 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Is any body knows how to lock keyboard under win95 through application
>program.

Install a global keyboard hook which always returns TRUE.
--
(My return address is intentionally invalid to foil spammers.  Delete the
".---" to get my real address.  I do this on my own time with my own money;

Key board lock under windows 95

Post by Patrik Blomber » Wed, 15 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Look at SetWindowsHookEx.

Raymond,

Since a global keyboard hook doesn't get notified for CAD et
al and for text typed in a console window, this technique won't
work for Vicente who needed to intercept *all* keystrokes, not
just non-console keystrokes. The only way I know of to do this
in Win95 is to write a VxD.

Cheers,
Patrik

------
If replying by email, remove the spam protection stuff ".---",
at the end of my return address.

Key board lock under windows 95

Post by Raymond Chen [M » Wed, 15 Oct 1997 04:00:00

On Tue, 14 Oct 1997 10:53:06 -0300, Vicente Prieto

>What is this "Global Keyboard Hook" about?

Look at SetWindowsHookEx.

--

Post by Vicente Priet » Wed, 15 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> >Is any body knows how to lock keyboard under win95 through
> application
> >program.

> Install a global keyboard hook which always returns TRUE.

What is this "Global Keyboard Hook" about?  I need to intercept all
keystrokes to manage a magnetic card reader which sends data to the
keyboard interface.  Does this so-called hook apply to my issues?

Vicente Prieto
MSP Com. Servs. Inform=E1tica
5511 846-9074

Key board lock under windows 95

Post by Vicente Priet » Thu, 16 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Since a global keyboard hook doesn't get notified for CAD et
> al and for text typed in a console window, this technique won't
> work for Vicente who needed to intercept *all* keystrokes, not
> just non-console keystrokes. The only way I know of to do this
> in Win95 is to write a VxD.

-----------------

Is it possible to intercept the Interrupt Service Routine from inside a
DLL in Win95 so I could "catch" all incoming keycodes ?
I'm afraid I do not have enough time (neither knowledge) to develop a
VxD...

Vicente Prieto
MSP Coml. Servs. Info.

Key board lock under windows 95

Post by Raymond Chen [M » Thu, 16 Oct 1997 04:00:00

On Tue, 14 Oct 1997 17:17:23 -0700, "Patrik Blomberg"

>Since a global keyboard hook doesn't get notified for CAD et
>al and for text typed in a console window, this technique won't
>work for Vicente who needed to intercept *all* keystrokes, not
>just non-console keystrokes.

It was not clear how "all" he needed to be.

Quote:>The only way I know of to do this in Win95 is to write a VxD.

That would work for Windows 95, but VxDs don't work on Windows
NT.
--
(My return address is intentionally invalid to foil spammers.  Delete the
".---" to get my real address.  I do this on my own time with my own money;
my responses are not to be considered official technical support or advice.)

Key board lock under windows 95

Post by David Mackle » Fri, 17 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Yes, a hook does work under NT as well.
....Need some help ... would love to see Brazil? :}

Quote:> Raymond et al,

Perhaps I did not explain clearly what I intended to do...

I am developing a keyboard driver which will be part of a Wosa/XFS
terminal.  This keyboard has a magnetic card reader attached that sends
data as a stream of keystrokes (only the make-codes are actually sent).
The keyboard accepts two additional commands (0xA0 - enable reader and
0xA1 - disable reader) that the driver must send to control the reader.
Once an Enable command is issued the keyboard/reader is ready to decode
tracks 2 & 3.  If you connect one of this devices on your PC and enables
it, passing the card is just the same as typing your card's content,
plus additional sentinel characters.

My "mission" is basically to create a driver which conforms to Wosa/XFS
service provider interface that intercepts keyboard data, identify
sentinels and decide which bytes are keystrokes and which are card data.

I suppose I do not need to intercept keystrokes when tasks such as a
console window get the focus (and also any application other than the
financial application which is the "client" of the card reader
service).  If this is correct the "Hook" may be the solution of choice.
Does this hook work on NT also?  This would cut half of my work!

Well, maybe I have clarified things now... thanks for your (valuable)
support.

Vicente Prieto
MSP Software
S?o Paulo - BRAZIL

----------

Post by Vicente Priet » Fri, 17 Oct 1997 04:00:00

[...]

S=E3o Paulo - BRAZIL

1. How do you Detect the presence of the Windows Key on the Key board Programatically ?

Hi Folks,

   How do you Detect the presence of the Windows Key (WinKey - the one
between the CTRL & ALT on the left hand side of the keyboard) on the
Key board Programatically ?

more in general how does one come to know what special keys are
present on the Keyboard ??

Any pointers would be much appreciated...

Many Thanks for reading thru the mail,
Kind Regards,

Natarajan.

http://Win32Programming.tripod.com/

2. IT contract work available

3. How do you Detect the presence of the Windows Key (WinKey) on the Key board Programatically ?

4. MM-VIDEO

5. Toggle CAPS LOCK KEY with SHIFT-key in stead of CAPS LOCK

6. font error

7. How to disable the Windows Key in Windows 95

8. Numerical Integration in Excel?

9. file locking and sharing in Windows 95/NT

10. Page Locking in Windows 95 - Help !

11. Turning Scroll-Lock-LED on/off under Windows 95/98/NT

12. Locking Memory in Windows 95

13. Windows 95 File system locking?