database design help please

Post by md.. » Mon, 25 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

<note: I tried posting this once, but was unsuccessful I think; I'm
sorry if this gets repeated on the newsgroup>

I was wondering if anyone might know of some utilities or VC++ code
templates which would allow me to create  a small executable
(stand-alone) database program for Windows95.  I have done C and some
C++ coding, but never a database program, so I am looking for advice
from people who have gone through database programming trials and
tribulations so that I get started in the right direction.  I know
that it is possible to do all the coding
from scratch using VC++, but I am interested  in the quickest, easiest
and most efficient way possible to program the code, as entering the
data will be time consuming enough..  The database only needs to have
a handful of searchable fields but I expect there to be many records
and I would like to customize the look of the user interface to make
it look decent.  I know that I could create a template, and enter the
data into a commercial database program, but they all seem like such
overkill for the tiny database template I need...the programs
themselves take up huge amounts of disk space.

All helpful advice and suggestions are welcomed, including good books
or articles on creating database programs.  Please email me if
possible.

Thank you in advance.

Alan

database design help please

Post by David Barkshir » Mon, 25 May 1998 04:00:00

If you want to manipulate an mdb file an make an executable, then VB is for
most, the quickest and simplest way. There is even an add-in wizard to make
up the bare bones for you.

Post by Owen F. Rans » Fri, 29 May 1998 04:00:00

>Hi,

><note: I tried posting this once, but was unsuccessful I think; I'm
>sorry if this gets repeated on the newsgroup>

>I was wondering if anyone might know of some utilities or VC++ code
>templates which would allow me to create  a small executable
>(stand-alone) database program for Windows95.  I have done C and some
>C++ coding

I use VC++ MFC and DAO. Seems to work well, and DAO runs on all
Windows95 machines. Look at the DAO or ODBC samples in
the VC CD-ROM Samples directory.

repliGATOR   http://www.ransen.com
Book         http://www.buildingweb.com/progacad
Home         http://www.nemo.it/solarsys/owen

database design help please

Post by Jean-Claude Wipple » Fri, 29 May 1998 04:00:00

[...]

Quote:> I was wondering if anyone might know of some utilities or VC++ code
> templates which would allow me to create  a small executable
> (stand-alone) database program for Windows95.  I have done C and some
> C++ coding, but never a database program, so I am looking for advice
> from people who have gone through database programming trials and
> tribulations so that I get started in the right direction.  I know
> that it is possible to do all the coding
> from scratch using VC++, but I am interested  in the quickest, easiest
> and most efficient way possible to program the code, as entering the
> data will be time consuming enough..  The database only needs to have
> a handful of searchable fields but I expect there to be many records
> and I would like to customize the look of the user interface to make
> it look decent.  I know that I could create a template, and enter the
> data into a commercial database program, but they all seem like such
> overkill for the tiny database template I need...the programs
> themselves take up huge amounts of disk space.

Check out MetaKit, a database engine implemented as C++ class library,
specially designed for the creation of small, installation-free, apps.
MetaKit started out as MSVC/MFC only product, it is now multi-platform,
with tested ports on Windows (most C++ compilers), Mac, many Unix'es,
VMS and runs on anything from 16-bit real-mode DOS to 64-bit Alpha.

I'm biased obviously, but feel free to visit its web site for quotes and
technical info, so you can decide whether it matches your requirements:

        http://www.equi4.com/metakit/

For an example of its size and speed, check out the popular CatFish disk
catalog browser, have it catalog a few CD-ROMs, and see for yourself:

        http://www.equi4.com/catfish/

For questions, comments, and suggestions - just email me :)

Regards,
Jean-Claude

Jean-Claude Wippler    MetaKit home page - http://www.equi4.com/metakit/
Equi4 Software         "Portable database software for a changing world"

1. OO Design vs Functional Design - PLEASE HELP!!!

I am currently writing a report at university and need to know what the
relative merits of using Object-Oriented Design are compared to Functional
Design.

Also, are there any advantages of using Functional Design over OO?

If anyone can help me with this issue I would be very greatful,

Thanks for your help,

Nik C.

2. AS400-ODBC-LOTUS

4. Emacs with new ATI Mach32 Drivers?

5. Designing a Simple Database with *Good* Design

6. Partitions above 8 gig on 3.12

7. Please Help me !!! Please Please Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. AS400 / VMS file transfers

9. Database application Help, please

10. Please help! Database access from multiple threads

11. I need help to transfer database on diskettes... please

12. database manager - please help!

13. Modem to Modem data transfer with database - PLease Help!