IPX/SPX Servers

Post by Fabia » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 22:50:52

Hi,
how is it possible to create a list of some servers like in some games (Age
Of Empires 2) without using DirectX stuff. I think this is possible with
IPX, could someone give me some samples or ideas?
thanks
fabian

IPX/SPX Servers

Post by Phil Frisbie, Jr » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 01:52:10

> Hi,
> how is it possible to create a list of some servers like in some games (Age
> Of Empires 2) without using DirectX stuff. I think this is possible with
> IPX, could someone give me some samples or ideas?

You can use broadcast IPX or UDP to announce servers on a LAN. That is how DPlay
does it.

Quote:> thanks
> fabian

Phil Frisbie, Jr.
Lead Developer, Hawk Software
http://www.hawksoft.com

IPX/SPX Servers

Post by Ed Astl » Tue, 22 Jan 2002 19:58:44

Quote:> Hi,
> how is it possible to create a list of some servers like in some games
(Age
> Of Empires 2) without using DirectX stuff. I think this is possible with
> IPX, could someone give me some samples or ideas?
> thanks
> fabian

Ages since I dabbled with spx/ipx/sap but essentially an ipx server is of a
particular type (file, print, backup, roll-your-own etc) and a number is
associated with the type of server.

A list of servers of a particular type can be obtained by broadcasting a
"get nearest server" or "get general server" packet with the type number
filled in.

Servers should listen for this broadcast (routers enabled for ipx do too,
iirc) and respond.  The client reads in the responses and determines which
server they want to use.

SAP works on port 0x452.
General server query is type 1.   Nearest server query is type 3.
General server response is type 2.  Nearest server response is type 4.

To be honest it's quite a chore to manually fill in all the ipx structures
and read the responses.  If you don't have a network monitor app your going
to find it hard work.

Maybe there's a better way of doing things now - I haven't checked since I
wrote my code about 4 years ago.  Have a look on Novell - I used the Novell
Client SDK for documentation and implemented my SAP stuff on NT 4 using
winsock.

Ed.