IPX/SPX and RPC

Post by Shaun Both » Mon, 16 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi folks;

I'm trying to use IPX and SPX protocols for some RPC work I'm doing.
Problem is that when specifying the server name (as specified in the Win32
docs), my app hangs out for a while, eventually returning an error that the
host could not be found.  Local RPC, TCP/IP, and Named Pipes work fine.

When I specify the physical link address of the host (my local machine) all
works ok.

Anyone know what I need to do to get "ncadg_ipx" and "ncacn_spx" to work?
I've already tried adding the SAP Agent but that didn't help me either.

Thanx

ShaunB..

IPX/SPX and RPC

Post by Felix Kasza [MV » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Shaun,

 > when specifying the server name [...], my app
 > hangs out for a while, eventually returning an
 > error that the host could not be found.

IPX/SPX server name resolution needs a Netware server with bindery
(3.x) or bindery emulation (4.x). Also, you'll need to have the SAP
Agent service installed and running (network config).

Cheers,
Felix.

--
If you post a reply, kindly refrain from emailing it, too.
I have killfiled hotmail.com and yahoo.com. If you are legit,

IPX/SPX and RPC

Post by Shaun Both » Thu, 19 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Thanx Felix.  That's the answer I was hoping for.

Much appreciated.

ShaunB..