An option to run certain programs in Win98 upon startup?

An option to run certain programs in Win98 upon startup?

Post by Miracid » Fri, 10 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi.

My background with windows programming is about nil.   I'm not even
sure how to create program streams that run when I launch windows.
Do I need another program other than the Win98 I already have in order
to customize windows?

What I'd like to do is have an option as windows finishes loading that
allows me to keep certain programs from running in the background if I
designate that I don't want them to open and then have an option to
open them later if I so desire.  Is there code I can write upon
startup that will keep these files from loading up?   Start them up
upon the pressing of a button or option?
If so, where do I start, what do I do?

automatically come up when windows loads up.   What would be the
proper command string to NOT have them run upon windows loading.

and to have them run.

Please answer in these forum(s), I will be lurking.   And thanks, for
your help.

An option to run certain programs in Win98 upon startup?

Start/Run/msconfig/startup

Post by Thomas W. Brow » Fri, 10 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> Hi.

> My background with windows programming is about nil.   I'm not even
> sure how to create program streams that run when I launch windows.
> Do I need another program other than the Win98 I already have in order
> to customize windows?

> What I'd like to do is have an option as windows finishes loading that
> allows me to keep certain programs from running in the background if I
> designate that I don't want them to open and then have an option to
> open them later if I so desire.  Is there code I can write upon
> startup that will keep these files from loading up?   Start them up
> upon the pressing of a button or option?
> If so, where do I start, what do I do?

> automatically come up when windows loads up.   What would be the
> proper command string to NOT have them run upon windows loading.

> and to have them run.

Just remove the startup commands...

I'm staring at a Windows 2000 system right now and MS subtly changes the
way these things work from OS to OS.  For me I would remove the entries
from the appropriate registry keys:

        HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
        HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

For Win98 it could be as simple as moving the commands out of the "Start
-> Programs -> Startup" menu.  Removing the commands does not remove the
programs so you can always give yourself desktop shortcuts, use the
Explorer, use other Start menu commands, etc. to load the software when
you want to.

-- Thomas Brown

An option to run certain programs in Win98 upon startup?

Post by Miracid » Fri, 10 Sep 1999 04:00:00

On Thu, 09 Sep 1999 09:31:06 -0700, "Thomas W. Brown"

>> Hi.

>> My background with windows programming is about nil.   I'm not even
>> sure how to create program streams that run when I launch windows.
>> Do I need another program other than the Win98 I already have in order
>> to customize windows?

>> What I'd like to do is have an option as windows finishes loading that
>> allows me to keep certain programs from running in the background if I
>> designate that I don't want them to open and then have an option to
>> open them later if I so desire.  Is there code I can write upon
>> startup that will keep these files from loading up?   Start them up
>> upon the pressing of a button or option?
>> If so, where do I start, what do I do?

>> automatically come up when windows loads up.   What would be the
>> proper command string to NOT have them run upon windows loading.

>> and to have them run.

>Just remove the startup commands...

>I'm staring at a Windows 2000 system right now and MS subtly changes the
>way these things work from OS to OS.  For me I would remove the entries
>from the appropriate registry keys:

>    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
>    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

>For Win98 it could be as simple as moving the commands out of the "Start
>-> Programs -> Startup" menu.  Removing the commands does not remove the
>programs so you can always give yourself desktop shortcuts, use the
>Explorer, use other Start menu commands, etc. to load the software when
>you want to.

>-- Thomas Brown

Thomas (or anyone else out there :-)  ),  Is there a  way to do this
programmically??   I'd like to be able to have the option to run these
programs during my session.  And have the option to not run them if I
so choose to.

An option to run certain programs in Win98 upon startup?

Post by acte.. » Fri, 10 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Create a batch file to run the commands that the shortcuts point to.
(look at the properties)
Put a shortcut to the batch file on your desktop.
You can run startup programs from the StartMenu->Programs->Startup at
any time.

To prevent startup programs from loading during the startup sequence
hold down the Shift Key.

Devices and Run Entries are different, they are not prevented by the
ShiftKey. You will have to remove them from your startup group and use
the desktop option.

Or, switch your system to use user profiles and configure two profiles
for with and without.

> Hi.

> My background with windows programming is about nil.   I'm not even
> sure how to create program streams that run when I launch windows.
> Do I need another program other than the Win98 I already have in order
> to customize windows?

> What I'd like to do is have an option as windows finishes loading that
> allows me to keep certain programs from running in the background if I
> designate that I don't want them to open and then have an option to
> open them later if I so desire.  Is there code I can write upon
> startup that will keep these files from loading up?   Start them up
> upon the pressing of a button or option?
> If so, where do I start, what do I do?

> automatically come up when windows loads up.   What would be the
> proper command string to NOT have them run upon windows loading.

> and to have them run.

> Please answer in these forum(s), I will be lurking.   And thanks, for
> your help.

==========================
Alan Capesius, MCSE
Tech World, Inc.
http://www.tech-world.com      http://www.twstore.com

Spamblocked-emailaddress

Post by James Lil » Sat, 11 Sep 1999 04:00:00

:->Thomas (or anyone else out there :-)  ),  Is there a  way to do this
:->programmically??   I'd like to be able to have the option to run these
:->programs during my session.  And have the option to not run them if I
:->so choose to.

What about using the options in those programs to turn off the
automatic startup and then using start menu entries to run them when
you do want to?

If you have internet explorer 5 installed, you can create a tool bar
that acts like a start menu if you don't want to add shortcuts to the
real start menu.

You could create a standard tool bar or use the quick launch toolbar
if you have Internet Explorer 4 or later.
Since you are posting this to alt.windows98, among other places, I
would presume that you do.

A batch file can be created to launch several programs and a shortcut
created to launch it.
You would want the shortcut set to open minimized and to close on
exit.
You would then include lines like this

start path.exe
where path.exe is the complete path name to the program to be
launched, enclose it in quotes it the path includes any blanks.

You can get information about start by keying
start /?
at a DOS prompt.

I hope that this helps. 8-).

Windows 98 help at