File format for '.dll's' and '.lib'

Post by Michael Collis » Wed, 09 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Can someone explain (or give a pointer) to a description of the windows NT/95
'.dll' and '.lib' formats. I know that object files use COFF and executables
use PE (which are well documented), however I haven't found documentation on
the other formats.

Mike

File format for '.dll's' and '.lib'

Post by Alfons Hoogervor » Wed, 09 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Lo,

The file format of .DLLs, COFF .OBJs and COFF .LIBS are quite
thoroughly described in Matt Pietrek's "Windows 95 Systems Programming
Secrets".

Bye.

>>Can someone explain (or give a pointer) to a description of the windows NT/95
>>'.dll' and '.lib' formats. I know that object files use COFF and executables
>>use PE (which are well documented), however I haven't found documentation on
>>the other formats.

>DLLs are just PE format executables that are marked as libraries rather
>than main programs.

>Not all OBJ files are COFF, by the way.  Borland C++ generates OMF
>format OBJ files.

>I suspect that LIBs will use a format compatible with the OBJs for the
>compiler that they are for use with: COFF for COFF OBJs, OMF for OMF
>OBJs.

>--
>Steve
>    Nid byd, byd heb wybodaeth
>       (a world without learning is no world)

+------- To Catch A Tiger Glimpsing Its Reflection -------+
|     ALL DISCLAIMERS APPLY: I only vent my opinions      |

1. Q:'default' before 'case' in 'switch'

Hi, all
Does anybody know whether this code

switch (x)
   {
   default: return 0;
   case 1 : return 1;
   case 2 :
   etc..
   }
is complient with the Standard?

It compiles (and executes OK) with MSVC++6.0
I haven't check other ones, but it looks a bit bothering to me

Thanx

--
rado
http:://members.tripod.com/~radosoft

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
---
[ comp.std.c++ is moderated.  To submit articles, try just posting with ]

[              --- Please see the FAQ before posting. ---               ]
[ FAQ: http://reality.sgi.com/austern_mti/std-c++/faq.html              ]

2. CFP (2nd Call) Workshop on MicroKernels and Other Architectures

3. {'a','b','\0'} not equivalent to "ab"??

4. Storing binary files in cvs

5. 'initializing' : truncation from 'const double' to 'float' warning

6. CDGRAB PRO info ?

7. 'new' from application - 'delete' from DLL.

8. 'dcp.exe' and 'dcomperm.dll' does not work

9. Windows NT 4.00's and Visual C++'s TH32.DLL lib file

10. 'const_iterator' : is not a member of '`global namespace''

11. TreeView: what's the difference btw 'child' and 'sibling'?

12. What's the difference between '&' and '+'