Named Pipe Question

Post by Dale Raymond P. Borj » Sat, 07 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I'm writing an application that uses simple named pipe communication over a
Netware 4.1 network. Running a test with the client and server applications
on the same NT machine works just fine. However, if they're on different
machines on the network, the client can't connect to the pipe. The pipe name
is P123, the workgroup name is ABC, the server machine ID is XYZ and the
client's is MNO.

Questions:
How should the client address the pipe? "\\XYZ\PIPE\P123"?

Will I see this problem in an NT network?

Help!

TIA,
Dale Borja

Named Pipe Question

Post by Dale Raymond P. Borj » Sat, 07 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I'm writing an application that uses simple named pipe communication over a
Netware 4.1 network. Running a test with the client and server applications
on the same NT machine works just fine. However, if they're on different
machines on the network, the client can't connect to the pipe. The pipe name
is P123, the workgroup name is ABC, the server machine ID is XYZ and the
client's is MNO.

Questions:
How should the client address the pipe? "\\XYZ\PIPE\P123"?

Will I see this problem in an NT network?

Help!

TIA,
Dale Borja

1. IPC and Named Pipe Question

I have two win2k processes which need to communicate.  The processes may run
together on the same machine, in the case where network is not available, or
on separate machines, where network is available.  One case is that no
network, not even loopback functionality is available.  Is there an IPC
mechanism that will handle both cases?  I know shared memory would be an
option for the case where network is not available, but will not work across
network.  Will Named Pipes work in the case of no network hardware, or do
they rely on underlying network protocol to work?  Am I doomed to
use/maintain two mechanisms? Share Memory in one case and another IPC in the
other?

CB

2. HP-UX11.xx NFS related symbols in kernel

3. Named Pipe questions

4. Need IAK File Info

5. Named pipe questions

6. Check out Fears2 - go beyond Doom

7. Named Pipes Question

8. Print spool reprints one users printing tasks (everything she has printed) when she logs in

9. Named pipes question!

10. Help with named pipe reconnect losing TX of the pipe, RX still works

11. Named Pipes and overlapping IO question

12. Question: transport layer of named pipe?

13. Named Pipe Security Questions...