IPC and Named Pipe Question

Post by CelticBlue » Fri, 24 Jan 2003 06:47:42

I have two win2k processes which need to communicate.  The processes may run
together on the same machine, in the case where network is not available, or
on separate machines, where network is available.  One case is that no
network, not even loopback functionality is available.  Is there an IPC
mechanism that will handle both cases?  I know shared memory would be an
option for the case where network is not available, but will not work across
network.  Will Named Pipes work in the case of no network hardware, or do
they rely on underlying network protocol to work?  Am I doomed to
use/maintain two mechanisms? Share Memory in one case and another IPC in the
other?

CB

IPC and Named Pipe Question

Post by Eugene Gershni » Fri, 24 Jan 2003 08:28:23

Quote:

> I have two win2k processes which need to communicate.  The processes may
run
> together on the same machine, in the case where network is not available,
or
> on separate machines, where network is available.  One case is that no
> network, not even loopback functionality is available.  Is there an IPC
> mechanism that will handle both cases?

Yes it is called (D)COM. From what you have described it seems that this
would be the best choice for your application (and much simpler and secure
than any shared memory/pipes mechanism)

Eugene