NT 4.0: How to set the default printer

Post by Rudolf Wern » Thu, 04 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
I need to set the default printer in NT 4.0, to write with the acrobat
PDF-Writer on a file. This starts from ActiveServerPages and there is
the message: "There is no default printer defined" (Actualley  it is.)
Is there any function to do this.
Thank you,
Rudolf Werner

NT 4.0: How to set the default printer

Post by David Lownd » Fri, 05 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I need to set the default printer in NT 4.0, to write with the acrobat
>PDF-Writer on a file. This starts from ActiveServerPages and there is
>the message: "There is no default printer defined" (Actualley  it is.)
>Is there any function to do this.

Rudolf,

I'm not sure if it'll help in your situation but you can set the
default printer quite easily. Have a look at Knowledge Base articles
Q135387 "How to Get and Set the Default Printer in Windows", and
Q140560 "How to Set the Default Printer Programmatically in Windows
95".

Dave
----

NT 4.0: How to set the default printer

Post by Rudolf Wern » Sat, 06 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Dave,
thank you for your information. I found the articles to define the
default printer. It seems, that using ActiveServerPages there is no
"User" defined (System as User?) and so the default printer has to be
redefined.
Rudolf

Quote:>>I need to set the default printer in NT 4.0, to write with the acrobat
>>PDF-Writer on a file. This starts from ActiveServerPages and there is
>>the message: "There is no default printer defined" (Actualley  it is.)
>>Is there any function to do this.

>Rudolf,

>I'm not sure if it'll help in your situation but you can set the
>default printer quite easily. Have a look at Knowledge Base articles
>Q135387 "How to Get and Set the Default Printer in Windows", and
>Q140560 "How to Set the Default Printer Programmatically in Windows
>95".

>Dave
>----
>My address is altered to discourage junk mail.
>Please post responses to the newsgroup thread,
>there's no need for follow-up email copies.

NT 4.0: How to set the default printer

Post by David Lownd » Tue, 09 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>thank you for your information. I found the articles to define the
>default printer. It seems, that using ActiveServerPages there is no
>"User" defined (System as User?) and so the default printer has to be
>redefined.

Rudolf,

Yes, from the context of an ASP page I think you're the "LocalSystem"
account. In a similar circumstance a colleague did printing from an
ASP page using an automation server that called LogonUser,
ImpersonateLoggedOnUser etc. and so could use a special user account
that has a printer setup for it.

Dave
----

1. Setting Default Printer on NT

My code to set default printer works on 95 and fails on NT 4.0
workstation! Cant figure why but probably security?
Using OpenPrinter with Printer_All_Access (0F000CH), gets hprinter
Getting Level 2 printer info with GetPrinterInfo
OR printerAttributes: (Printer_Info_2.Attributes ||
Printer_Attribute_Default)
SetPrinterInfo() to set new info - no error reported but default
printer is not changed.

Any ideas how to change the default printer on NT 4.0?
Jim Kane
Productive Software Solutions

2. Guest Only

3. ComputerWorld: Whole IT Industry Denies Existence Of Bugs

4. Changing Default Printer Under WinNT 4.0

5. Reading the Text of an NDR

6. Printing to default printer in VB 4.0 problem

7. Copying voice messages off a telephone voice mail box

8. How to set default icon for VC++ 4.0

9. How to set printer's Default Paper Size?

10. Setting system default printer & paper bin problem

11. Default Printer Setting

12. Q:Setting the Default Printer