Where to find a good book to learn VC++5 and Windows95/NT C++ Programming ?

Where to find a good book to learn VC++5 and Windows95/NT C++ Programming ?

Post by Julien Houllie » Tue, 27 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hello

I'm looking for a book in french or english to learn about
the Windows 95/NT programming. I also have VC++5 and
I know coding in GFABasic, VB, TASM, DELPHI, C ( not ++ ! )

Thanks
Julien

Where to find a good book to learn VC++5 and Windows95/NT C++ Programming ?

Post by Scott Hil » Wed, 28 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello

> I'm looking for a book in french or english to learn about
> the Windows 95/NT programming. I also have VC++5 and
> I know coding in GFABasic, VB, TASM, DELPHI, C ( not ++ ! )

        Start with the windows programming bible - "Programming Windows 95" by
Charles Petzold. It's an ideal place to start and you'll find it an
invaluable reference book that you'll just keep going back to time after
time, plus you have all you need to get started.
        As you have VC5 you may want to take a look at MFC and C++ at some point,
I wouldn't recommend starting here, as learning to program the Windows API
in C will give you a good basis on which to build when you come to learn
MFC. When it comes to learning C++ (which you will need to do if you want
to use the MFC classes) I'd recommend the book "C++ for dummies", despite
it's title, it's an ideal book for programmers migrating from C to C++, in
fact it assumes that you know at least some C.

HTH,

--
Scott Hill

Software Engineer (and all round nice guy)

"The best trick the devil ever pulled was convincing people he didn't
exist..."
                                                                - Verbal Kent.

"the Internet is here so we can waste time talking about nothing in
 particular when we should be working" - Marcus Hill.

1. What are good books/programs to learn C++ on the PC

I will be teaching myself C++ this summer.  I have been using C for about
4 years now (hopefully when I graduate I can get a job in it).  I am
currently using Borland Turbo C++.  Could some of you send me some
suggestions about good C++ tutorial books for the IBM-PC?  I have seen
some that come with source code on a disk.  Which ones are really good?
I work better with the tutorial approach ("A Book on C, The C Tutorial")
than on the reference material approach ("K&R C") until I hit 50-60%
master of a language.
Thanks,
Stephen McLeod

2. Truncated attachment names in OS X

3. Need recommendation for good book to start learning programming with sockets, etc.

4. Sync Error

5. Good books to learn window 3.1 programming

6. LOOKING FOR FIELD MANUALS/DEC???$$$$

7. Good books for LEARNING 3D game programming

8. 1mb 520's, etc.

9. What's a good book to learn Data Structures in C++?

10. A good book from which to start learning C++.

11. MMX support in BC++5/VC++5?

12. Good books for VC++ and general reference for Windows programming

13. Anyone know a good website for learning GUI programming in C (not C++)?