Question: transport layer of named pipe?

Question: transport layer of named pipe?

Post by txm » Tue, 11 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hi, all

Does named pipe itself include a transport layer or depend on other
transport layer like tcp/ip, netbeui or ipx?

Or am I making a stupid question?  :-)

Thanks!

txm

Question: transport layer of named pipe?

Post by Phil Sanderso » Wed, 12 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Here's what Ruediger Asche says in his article "Garden Hoses at Work" in
MSDN Online (see http://www.microsoft.com/win32dev/netwrk/npipes.htm )...

"We have to keep in mind that named pipes are not network protocols, they
are simply interfaces. Protocol suites accomplish data transfers over a
network, and these are almost totally unrelated to the interface. Although
named pipes do a little work in breaking up a data communication, the data
will be wrapped in a network protocol, and, eventually, will end up on the
physical network cable. Some protocols provide very reliable and fast
communications, whereas others do not go out of their way to verify that
all of the data has been transmitted or received correctly.

How are interfaces associated with protocols? It depends on the interface.
There is no way to programmatically associate a named pipe with a certain
protocol; that is, if multiple protocols are available for network
communications on a given machine, an application cannot ask a named pipe
to communicate over a specific protocol. The protocol that a specific
communication uses is determined by two factors: the binding order on the
two machines (accessible from the Windows NT Control Panel, Network applet,
Network Bindings dialog box) and the common bindings on both machines. The
two computers "negotiate" a protocol by finding a common binding, moving
down the binding list in ascending order of priority."

Phil

Quote:> Hi, all

Post by Davi » Wed, 12 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> Does named pipe itself include a transport layer or depend on other
> transport layer like tcp/ip, netbeui or ipx?

From what I understand, a named pipe that is connected to another
process on the same machine uses its own internal IPC mechanism.  A
named pipe that connects to a different computer goes through NetBios
(either TCP/IP via WINS, or NetBEUI).

Of course, I could be wrong.  Anyone here know for certain?

-- David

1. Adding Additional Transport Layer for RPC On Win2k/NT4.0

Hi

     Does anyone know How one can add more Transport Layer support for
DCE RPC running on Win2000 and WinNt4.  Transport Layers That already
on the OS are Winsock, Named Pipe,....  I Like to Add my own Transport
Layers in addition to what is already there..

Thanks to anyone Who can help me.....

Arash

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. combining files

3. TCP/IP: Transport Layer References

4. need help extracting words from a string - Thanks and need more help

5. Adding Additional Transport Layer for RPC On Win2k/NT4.0

6. FS:Ultra 30 Systems

7. Transport Layer Interface (TLI)

8. Help with named pipe reconnect losing TX of the pipe, RX still works

9. IPC and Named Pipe Question

10. Named Pipe questions

11. Named Pipes and overlapping IO question

12. Named Pipe Question