Namespace ext: how to get the root name???

Namespace ext: how to get the root name???

Post by Robert Dye » Fri, 10 Sep 1999 04:00:00

From within the code of my namespace extension,
how can I programmitically get just the display
name of the current extension. I need this because
I plan on having multiple instances of my namespace
extensions, and I need to distinguish between them.

What I need here is the name which is shown at
the root level of the namespace extension, which
is in both MyComputer and Desktop. I know it's
in the registry, but I need to get the name of the
namespace currently displayed or currently
being displayed.

IShellFolder::GetDisplayNameOf doesn't help
because at the root level the pidl is NULL, and
it just returns an empty string.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Post by Chris Beck » Fri, 10 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> From within the code of my namespace extension,
> how can I programmitically get just the display
> name of the current extension. I need this because
> I plan on having multiple instances of my namespace
> extensions, and I need to distinguish between them.

> What I need here is the name which is shown at
> the root level of the namespace extension, which
> is in both MyComputer and Desktop. I know it's
> in the registry, but I need to get the name of the
> namespace currently displayed or currently
> being displayed.

> IShellFolder::GetDisplayNameOf doesn't help
> because at the root level the pidl is NULL, and
> it just returns an empty string.

Your pidl is NULL?
The pidl passed to IPersistFolder::Initialize is the pidl to your
ShellFolder and should not be NULL. Pass that to a desktop IShellFolder
instance and it should be able to retrieve your instances name.

Chris

--
Please keep newsgroup correspondence within the newsgroups.

<http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq> Visual C & Win32 FAQ
<http://users.lia.net/chris/win32> My Win32 Development Page

1. Find root pidl of namespace ext

Hi

My problem: I need to refresh my namespace extension. As I know I need to
find root pidl of my extension to call SHChangeNotify. Let's suppose that
when I want to call SHChangeNotify I have no any other my pidls, so I can't
parse it to the root. Also let's suppose that name of Extension can be
changed by user, so searching by name is impossible. My extension starts
under Desktop, after My Computer and Nethood. Of course I know the CLSID.
How to do this? Help!

--
TIA,
Vadim

2. Deleting Multiple rows

3. Difference between rooted and non-rooted namespace extensions?

4. Thank you for all who replie to me!

5. Root shell namespace and Nonroot namespace.

6. SQL & other .el modes??

7. Shell Namespace Ext. Virtual disk

8. WZLX

9. Namespace ext & caching

10. Shell Namespace Ext: Drag-Drop problem

11. Shell Namespace Ext: Toolbar tooltips

12. IE 4.xx: Opened namespace ext. folder window is not closed when folder is deleted

13. Shell namespace ext. & refresh