Installing and using ginastub.dll?

Post by Paul Hennesse » Fri, 10 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Microsoft provide code for a pass-through "stub" gina which can be used
to sinmplify gina development. This passes control for the required
functions through to the real gina, and captures parameters from that
gina.

However, the documentation doesn't tell you how to install and use this
stub gina once written. Does anyone know how to do this?

Cheers

Paul

Post by Bob Moo » Fri, 10 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>However, the documentation doesn't tell you how to install and use this
>stub gina once written. Does anyone know how to do this?

To load an alternative GINA, you must alter the following registry key
value:

Key Name: \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Value Name: GinaDLL

Value Type: [REG_SZ]

If this key value is present and non-null, then it should have a GINA
DLL name. Winlogon will load and use that GINA DLL.

Make sure that when you write to this entry, your GINA dll is in place
and ready for use before rebooting, otherwise Bad Things will happen.
The situation is retrievable on a networked machine (using regedt32),
but on a standalone machine you'll probably have to reinstall NT.

Bob Moore [MVP]

Due to an unreasonable amount of queries, I no
longer answer unsolicited email questions. Sorry,
no exceptions.

Installing and using ginastub.dll?

Post by Aaron J Margosi » Sat, 11 Jul 1998 04:00:00

[...]

Quote:> Make sure that when you write to this entry, your GINA dll is in place
> and ready for use before rebooting, otherwise Bad Things will happen.
> The situation is retrievable on a networked machine (using regedt32),
> but on a standalone machine you'll probably have to reinstall NT.

When doing this kind of development, it's also usually recommended to have an
extra "clean" install of NT available on the same machine.  In case of trouble,
you can boot up into the uncorrupted install and run RegEdt32 or any other tools
you need.

HTH

-- Aaron [MVP]
---------------------
Aaron J Margosis

Fortress-NT - NT Workstation/Server Security Utility:
    http://www.sunbelt-software.com/fortress.htm
ScrnSaveSwitch/Plus - Screen Saver Control Utility:
    http://www.ssswitch.com

1. ginastub or DLL programming question

Hi,

(How) Is it possible for my program to get the password
from a ginastub without writing it to a file (or the registry)?

I have a passwd buffer initialized which later on contains the actual pwd.
When i let a messagebox popup, it shows the expected value,
but when i call the dll (gina.dll) from my program  i only get the initial
values for the passwdbuffer.

Thanks in advance,

RG

2. PE2LX

3. dll using static MFC to dll using dynamic link MFC

4. Welcome to Medley....

5. Install..and install...and install

6. That pesky MacTCP is acting up again...and again..and AGAIN!!! HELP!

7. Install - Access Violation OLE32.DLL or MSVCRT.DLL

8. SS7 Connections to IC

9. ginastub and registry settings

10. ginastub & Terminal Server

11. GINASTUB: Problems getting screen saver to return correctly

12. URGENT Help: GINASTUB, extracting Username & Password

13. GINASTUB