Registering win.ini changes....

Post by NBE_at_CAIS_c » Sun, 18 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Got a couple questions about stuff I've not tried yet...

When making some changes to the win.ini (specifically to the extensions
section, and the screensaver and wallpaper entries in the desktop sections),
how do I get Windows to recognize the changes without restarting Windows?

From a note just previously posted, someone mentioned regedit? or similar
function for extensions.  I will check the SDK for that, but I still
need to know how to get the Wallpaper and Screensaver registered.

TIA,
  Alan

Post by John Gra » Sun, 18 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>Got a couple questions about stuff I've not tried yet...

>When making some changes to the win.ini (specifically to the extensions
>section, and the screensaver and wallpaper entries in the desktop sections),
>how do I get Windows to recognize the changes without restarting Windows?

>From a note just previously posted, someone mentioned regedit? or similar
>function for extensions.  I will check the SDK for that, but I still
>need to know how to get the Wallpaper and Screensaver registered.

>TIA,
>  Alan

        You shouldn't use WriteProfileString to set the wallpaper. The
        correct API function for wallpaper settings is:
                SystemParametersInfo(SPI_SETDESKWALLPAPER,0,"xxx.bmp",
                                SPIF_UPDATEINIFILE);
        The SPIF_UPDATEINIFILE takes care of updating the info.

        I don't know the official method for setting the screensaver.
--

Airborne Geophysics
Geological Survey of Canada, Ottawa

1. win.ini and sys.ini

There are loads of commands that can be added to either the win.ini or the
sys.ini that allow you to configure windows, but appear to be unavailable
from within windows any other way.

E.g.

ForceLazyOn=CD

which speeds up disk access for Stacker 4.0 (as recommended in the tech notes)

My question is, is there a comprehensive list of these 'hidden' commands
available anywhere - either on the net as a text document, or in a book
somewhere??

TIA
Andrew

2. How do I search selection?

3. How to use myfile.ini instead od win.ini ?

4. Blue World Announces Lasso Reporter for MySQL

5. printer change and win.ini

6. Incorrect \pageref with \newtheorem

7. Can't Access [SOUNDS] in Win 95 Win.ini

8. Remote printing on HP4

9. Modifying win.ini and autoexec.bat

10. Need help with MouseThreshold in WIN.INI

11. Associations from win.ini

12. How do I install my program and win.ini extensions?

13. win.ini and others