q: CPU usage by process ?

Post by Yury Zenkevic » Wed, 22 Jan 2003 00:42:32

Hi All !

Any ideas, where to look to find out how much CPU time processes use ? (I
have to find 3 top processes by cpu usage).

Thank you,

YZ.

q: CPU usage by process ?

Post by Ivan Brugiolo [MSFT » Wed, 22 Jan 2003 02:06:05

In WinXP and beyond,
you can use the IWbemRefresher with the
Win32_PerfFormattedData_PerfProc_Process class.

IN W2K and below, you can use a hand-crafted poller
that keeps querying Win32_PerfRawData_PerfProc_Process,
and you will have to add the "math logic" to your application.

--
This posting is provided "As Is" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Quote:> Hi All !

> Any ideas, where to look to find out how much CPU time processes use ? (I
> have to find 3 top processes by cpu usage).

> Thank you,

> YZ.

q: CPU usage by process ?

Post by Yury Zenkevic » Wed, 22 Jan 2003 22:48:15

"Win32_PerfFormattedData_PerfProc_Process" - can't iterate the instances of
such a class (WinXP).
error: "Provider failure
[System.Management.ManagementException,ProviderFailure]"

> In WinXP and beyond,
> you can use the IWbemRefresher with the
> Win32_PerfFormattedData_PerfProc_Process class.

> IN W2K and below, you can use a hand-crafted poller
> that keeps querying Win32_PerfRawData_PerfProc_Process,
> and you will have to add the "math logic" to your application.

> --
> This posting is provided "As Is" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.

> > Hi All !

> > Any ideas, where to look to find out how much CPU time processes use ?
(I
> > have to find 3 top processes by cpu usage).

> > Thank you,

> > YZ.

q: CPU usage by process ?

Post by Ivan Brugiolo [MSFT » Thu, 23 Jan 2003 01:52:21

let's start from the beginning:
please re-create the Win32_Perf classes via
c:\>wmidap /C && wmiadap /F
Wait few seconds (5 to 30 seconds, depending on the machine spec and
configuration)

open %windir%\system32\wbem\WbemTest.exe
connect to the root\cimv2 namespace.
click "create refresher"
click "Add"
type in "Win32_PerfFormattedData_PerfProc_Process"
click "Add Enum"
now you have one enumerator in the refresher.
Click "refresh" at least a couple of times, few seconds far each other.
double click the item in the list box.
Select your process and double click-it
click on the "Show Mof" buttom.
Do you get meaningful values ?
If not, which step do you get an error ?

--
This posting is provided "As Is" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

> "Win32_PerfFormattedData_PerfProc_Process" - can't iterate the instances
of
> such a class (WinXP).
> error: "Provider failure
> [System.Management.ManagementException,ProviderFailure]"

> > In WinXP and beyond,
> > you can use the IWbemRefresher with the
> > Win32_PerfFormattedData_PerfProc_Process class.

> > IN W2K and below, you can use a hand-crafted poller
> > that keeps querying Win32_PerfRawData_PerfProc_Process,
> > and you will have to add the "math logic" to your application.

> > --
> > This posting is provided "As Is" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights.
> > Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
> > http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

> > > Hi All !

> > > Any ideas, where to look to find out how much CPU time processes use ?
> (I
> > > have to find 3 top processes by cpu usage).

> > > Thank you,

> > > YZ.

q: CPU usage by process ?

Post by Yury Zenkevic » Thu, 23 Jan 2003 02:33:02

Actually, I dont have "wmidap" utility anywhere on my system.
Where can it be downloaded ?

ps. anyway, I can't force our clients to do such specific activities on
their machines just to allow me to get the perfomance data...
I have to use something preinstalled on basic Windows (NT/2K/XP/.NET) to do
the job :(

> let's start from the beginning:
> please re-create the Win32_Perf classes via
> c:\>wmidap /C && wmiadap /F
> Wait few seconds (5 to 30 seconds, depending on the machine spec and
> configuration)

> open %windir%\system32\wbem\WbemTest.exe
> connect to the root\cimv2 namespace.
> click "create refresher"
> click "Add"
> type in "Win32_PerfFormattedData_PerfProc_Process"
> click "Add Enum"
> now you have one enumerator in the refresher.
> Click "refresh" at least a couple of times, few seconds far each other.
> double click the item in the list box.
> Select your process and double click-it
> click on the "Show Mof" buttom.
> Do you get meaningful values ?
> If not, which step do you get an error ?

> --
> This posting is provided "As Is" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.

> > "Win32_PerfFormattedData_PerfProc_Process" - can't iterate the instances
> of
> > such a class (WinXP).
> > error: "Provider failure
> > [System.Management.ManagementException,ProviderFailure]"

> > > In WinXP and beyond,
> > > you can use the IWbemRefresher with the
> > > Win32_PerfFormattedData_PerfProc_Process class.

> > > IN W2K and below, you can use a hand-crafted poller
> > > that keeps querying Win32_PerfRawData_PerfProc_Process,
> > > and you will have to add the "math logic" to your application.

> > > --
> > > This posting is provided "As Is" with no warranties, and confers no
> > rights.
> > > Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

> > (I

q: CPU usage by process ?

Post by Ivan Brugiolo [MSFT » Thu, 23 Jan 2003 02:37:26

Sorry, its a typo.
it's WMIADAP.exe
I forgot one 'A'.

WmiADAP is supposed to have run at the first boot after your machine was
set-up.
I'm, just trying to create a baseline to make assumption on what is working
and not working
at any given stage.

--
This posting is provided "As Is" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

> Actually, I dont have "wmidap" utility anywhere on my system.
> Where can it be downloaded ?

> ps. anyway, I can't force our clients to do such specific activities on
> their machines just to allow me to get the perfomance data...
> I have to use something preinstalled on basic Windows (NT/2K/XP/.NET) to
do
> the job :(

> > let's start from the beginning:
> > please re-create the Win32_Perf classes via
> > c:\>wmidap /C && wmiadap /F
> > Wait few seconds (5 to 30 seconds, depending on the machine spec and
> > configuration)

> > open %windir%\system32\wbem\WbemTest.exe
> > connect to the root\cimv2 namespace.
> > click "create refresher"
> > click "Add"
> > type in "Win32_PerfFormattedData_PerfProc_Process"
> > click "Add Enum"
> > now you have one enumerator in the refresher.
> > Click "refresh" at least a couple of times, few seconds far each other.
> > double click the item in the list box.
> > Select your process and double click-it
> > click on the "Show Mof" buttom.
> > Do you get meaningful values ?
> > If not, which step do you get an error ?

> > --
> > This posting is provided "As Is" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights.
> > Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
> > http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

> > > "Win32_PerfFormattedData_PerfProc_Process" - can't iterate the
instances
> > of
> > > such a class (WinXP).
> > > error: "Provider failure
> > > [System.Management.ManagementException,ProviderFailure]"

message

> > > rights.

> ?
> > > (I

q: CPU usage by process ?

Post by Yury Zenkevic » Sat, 25 Jan 2003 00:46:49

Quote:> > > type in "Win32_PerfFormattedData_PerfProc_Process"

leads to "invalid object path" (WinXP Pro)

> Sorry, its a typo.
> it's WMIADAP.exe
> I forgot one 'A'.

> WmiADAP is supposed to have run at the first boot after your machine was
> set-up.
> I'm, just trying to create a baseline to make assumption on what is
working
> and not working
> at any given stage.

> --
> This posting is provided "As Is" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.

> > Actually, I dont have "wmidap" utility anywhere on my system.
> > Where can it be downloaded ?

> > ps. anyway, I can't force our clients to do such specific activities on
> > their machines just to allow me to get the perfomance data...
> > I have to use something preinstalled on basic Windows (NT/2K/XP/.NET) to
> do
> > the job :(

> > > let's start from the beginning:
> > > please re-create the Win32_Perf classes via
> > > c:\>wmidap /C && wmiadap /F
> > > Wait few seconds (5 to 30 seconds, depending on the machine spec and
> > > configuration)

> > > open %windir%\system32\wbem\WbemTest.exe
> > > connect to the root\cimv2 namespace.
> > > click "create refresher"
> > > click "Add"
> > > type in "Win32_PerfFormattedData_PerfProc_Process"
> > > click "Add Enum"
> > > now you have one enumerator in the refresher.
> > > Click "refresh" at least a couple of times, few seconds far each
other.
> > > double click the item in the list box.
> > > Select your process and double click-it
> > > click on the "Show Mof" buttom.
> > > Do you get meaningful values ?
> > > If not, which step do you get an error ?

> > > --
> > > This posting is provided "As Is" with no warranties, and confers no
> > rights.
> > > Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

> instances
> > > of

> message

> use
> > ?

q: CPU usage by process ?

Post by Ivan Brugiolo [MSFT » Sat, 25 Jan 2003 00:56:08

You did click 'Add Enum' and NOT 'Add object', didn't you ?

--
This posting is provided "As Is" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

> leads to "invalid object path" (WinXP Pro)

> > Sorry, its a typo.
> > it's WMIADAP.exe
> > I forgot one 'A'.

> > WmiADAP is supposed to have run at the first boot after your machine was
> > set-up.
> > I'm, just trying to create a baseline to make assumption on what is
> working
> > and not working
> > at any given stage.

> > --
> > This posting is provided "As Is" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights.
> > Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
> > http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

> > > Actually, I dont have "wmidap" utility anywhere on my system.
> > > Where can it be downloaded ?

> > > ps. anyway, I can't force our clients to do such specific activities
on
> > > their machines just to allow me to get the perfomance data...
> > > I have to use something preinstalled on basic Windows (NT/2K/XP/.NET)
> > do
> > > the job :(

message

> other.

> > > rights.

> > instances

> > message

> no
> at

> > use
> > > ?

q: CPU usage by process ?

Post by Yury Zenkevic » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 23:34:02

Oops, my mistake :)

ps. btw, i dont think "PercentProcessorTime = 815372448" have any meaning to
me :(