Find the users-home-folders from within a driver

Find the users-home-folders from within a driver

Post by Viv » Thu, 13 May 2010 22:56:00

Hi all,

How can I find out from within a driver the paths to all the
home-folders for all users from the system (should work on Win2k, XP,
Vista and Win7)?

I mean how can I get for instance on a Windows Vista, from a driver
(which obviously runs in kernel mode), the folder:
C:\Users or C:\Users\<username>; or on a WinXP the C:\Documents and
Settings or C:\Documents and Settings\<username>?

Thanks,
Viv

Find the users-home-folders from within a driver

Post by Maxim S. Shatski » Fri, 14 May 2010 02:26:26

Quote:> How can I find out from within a driver the paths to all the
> home-folders for all users from the system (should work on Win2k, XP,
> Vista and Win7)?

Why do you need this? maybe it is better to get this information in user mode and send it to the driver?

Do not use hardcoded paths, they can be customized.

--
Maxim S. Shatskih
Windows DDK MVP

http://www.storagecraft.com

Post by Tim Robert » Fri, 14 May 2010 12:39:08

>How can I find out from within a driver the paths to all the
>home-folders for all users from the system (should work on Win2k, XP,
>Vista and Win7)?

>I mean how can I get for instance on a Windows Vista, from a driver
>(which obviously runs in kernel mode), the folder:
>C:\Users or C:\Users\<username>; or on a WinXP the C:\Documents and
>Settings or C:\Documents and Settings\<username>?

To a great extent, the whole concept of "users" is a user-mode concept.
It's never going to be a good fit to try to do this from the kernel.

Remember that, in many environments, those paths point to network shares,
which a kernel driver cannot easily access.
--

Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

1. Need to find Current NT Users Home Directory using VB 5

Title says it all, if anybody knows this one please let us know.
--

Guy Edkins
Delta Group Ltd

Pro/ENGINEER Training: It is what we do best!
Developers of Pro/ENGINEER & SolidWorks Software Add-Ons
Where efficiency and effectiveness are fundamental!

Visit us at http://www.deltagl.com

2. Path Overflow Error

3. How do I find a user's home directory?

4. How to Put My Program in the System Tray

5. How to find current user's home directory on Win98

6. Minix and Internet

7. How to find the interactive user from within a service

8. Why no B or LDR pc from C++ inline assembly?

9. How to query Miniport driver OID from within user mode app?

10. <User and user home directory>

11. Where can I find good info on a User-Mode printer driver for NT?